[gothic-l] Rome, Roman, Greek

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 1999
      Goths dags allaim!

      In my "waurda niuja faur gutrazdai" I proposed:
      Rome = Romabaurgs (cf.Icelandic Romaborg)
      Roman = Walahs (cf. OHG, OE)
      Greek = Graikus (from Lat. Graecus)

      Meantime, I've got access to the Gothic Bible (I have downloaded it from
      the "Wulfila Project" website). Thus, I found out that there are attested
      Gothic words for these terms:

      Ruma (sf) = Rome
      Rumons (sm, i-stem) = Roman
      Kreks (sm) = Greek

      Having in view their phonetics, these words seem to be not adaptations
      from Greek made by Wulfila, but rather words which were really in use
      among the Goths of the 4th century.

      Thus, in this case, my inventions are useless.