[gothic-l] No Subject

  • gnsummers
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 1999
      I am brand new to this group and don't currently don't know of any resources on Gothic. Where can books etc. be bought? My background up to now has been in Scottish Gaelic and Modern European languages. I live in the New York area.

      Thanks.
    • Keth
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 21, 2000
        From: <got@...>

        Hails Gutwulfs!

        >I just wanted to guide you through a transmission with "gutamåul"
        >gotlandic.0

        >(left)over in some way, and the old ones ate them with a spoon

        > "yver(often yvar) pa nage veis, u di gamle at dem(oldest daim) mä skaid"
        Te åvers på någe vis, å di gamle åt dei me skei.

        Here I gave as example how it is pronounced in local Rogaland
        dialect. From this one could equally well say that the Goths
        lived in Rogaland. (Funny that the "Rugi" shared Italy with the Goths.)
        But the similarity probably has different reasons, though it is true
        that "Gaute" is a very old PN in Rogaland. For example, the many
        rich Viking Age houses that were recently excavated at "Gausel"
        (> gaute-sel?) attest that the first settler there had that name.
        But I see all this merely as example that everything tends to
        "spread out" (diffusion). The archaeologists said that this was
        probably the place that Olav Kvite came from - the Viking who
        ruled in Ireland. And later the family also settled in Iceland.

        Keth
      • got@yesbox.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 23, 2000
          "keth" <ket-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1745

> [...]

          Hails, Keth!
          With this radiotransmission I just wanted to point to some words or
          pronounciation of words that are similar in both languages. The dialect
          in Rogaland has common features with "gutniske", because they both have
          strong roots also to old norse. Some features in gotlandic are quite
          unic in Scandinavia and is a proof to their connection and maybe also
          relation with goths far back in time.

          See you!

          Gutwulfs

          > Here I gave as example how it is pronounced in local Rogaland
          > dialect. From this one could equally well say that the Goths
          > lived in Rogaland. (Funny that the "Rugi" shared Italy with the
          Goths.)
          > But the similarity probably has different reasons, though it is true
          > that "Gaute" is a very old PN in Rogaland. For example, the many
          > rich Viking Age houses that were recently excavated at "Gausel"
          > (> gaute-sel?) attest that the first settler there had that name.
          > But I see all this merely as example that everything tends to
          > "spread out" (diffusion). The archaeologists said that this was
          > probably the place that Olav Kvite came from - the Viking who
          > ruled in Ireland. And later the family also settled in Iceland.
          >
          > Keth

        • Keth
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 23, 2000
            >"keth" <ket-@...> wrote:
            >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1745

            Hails Gutwulfs!

            You are right! The languages all converge as you go back in time.
            Gothic is an important tool for the reading of runic
            inscriptions in the elder Futhark. All present Nordic dialects
            are relatives of each other. I realize that the pre-war Germans
            classified Gothic [the language proper] as "Ost-germanisch".
            That division has stood until this day -- I think. But there is a
            problem, because we do not have too many sources from the same
            chronological level, of the Nordic language, except for the few
            telegram style runic inscriptions. Therefore, it is not obvious
            that "Nordic" should form a separate language division from early
            (pre Ulfilas) Gothic.

            I suppose it all depends on your theoretical model:
            If you say the Goths came from Scandinavia, then their language
            cannot have been all that different from the language spoken
            in the rest of Scandinavia at the time. If you say they didn't,
            you still have to explain why the languages are so similar.
            It all boils down to where one thinks "Germanic" arose as
            a language. The Germans probably say it must have been in
            Germany or Poland. The Swedes say it must have been in Sweden
            (differences of opinion arising all according to where you
            live in Sweden). The Norwegians probably say everything arose
            in Norway, because that is the place that first became inhabitable
            after the Ice Age.

            au revoir!

            Keth