[gothic-l] [Fwd: Thunder in Cyberspace]

  • Thiudans
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 1999
      Anyone want to help?

      FafaFloly <fafafloly@...>
      FafaFloly wrote:

      > character, et al., to show up right on my Mac.) I've been comparing
      > the Gothic lexicon you've posted with other Germanic languages in an
      > attempt to deduce what the Gothic name for the god "Thor" would have
      > been. The word posted in the Gothic-to-English glossary is theihvó,
      > while elsewhere in the Germanic world the word is more closely a
      > variation of "thunaraz": Old English thunor, Middle Dutch doner, Old
      > Norse Thorr, Thunarr, Icelandic thruma. Are you sure theihvó is
      > correct, especially since it looks a lot like it's related to Germanic
      > Tiwaz, the god of war and the sky (also Tiw, Tig, Tiu, Tyr)?
      >
      > Curious,
      >
      > Mike
    • David Salo
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 1999
        >> character, et al., to show up right on my Mac.) I've been comparing
        >> the Gothic lexicon you've posted with other Germanic languages in an
        >> attempt to deduce what the Gothic name for the god "Thor" would have
        >> been. The word posted in the Gothic-to-English glossary is theihvÛ,
        >> while elsewhere in the Germanic world the word is more closely a
        >> variation of "thunaraz": Old English thunor, Middle Dutch doner, Old
        >> Norse Thorr, Thunarr, Icelandic thruma. Are you sure theihvÛ is
        >> correct, especially since it looks a lot like it's related to Germanic
        >> Tiwaz, the god of war and the sky (also Tiw, Tig, Tiu, Tyr)?

        Theihwo isn't related to Tiwaz < *Deiwos (which has a long i and would
        be Teiws in Gothic); it's probably *tenkw- > thenhwon- > Go theihwo,
        perhaps meaning "thick cloud" in origin.
        But the god's name would probably have still been !Thunars or !Thunrs;
        most of the Germanic languages show evidence of the syncope to -nr-
        (*Thunraz); note that it is still Thórr in Icelandic, even when the common
        noun for thunder is different!

        /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
        \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
        <dsalo@...> <>
      • got@yesbox.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 1999
          david salo <dsal-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1267
          > >> character, et al., to show up right on my Mac.) I've been comparing
          > >> the Gothic lexicon you've posted with other Germanic languages in
          an
          > >> attempt to deduce what the Gothic name for the god "Thor" would
          have
          > >> been. The word posted in the Gothic-to-English glossary is theihvÛ,
          > >> while elsewhere in the Germanic world the word is more closely a
          > >> variation of "thunaraz": Old English thunor, Middle Dutch doner,
          Old
          > >> Norse Thorr, Thunarr, Icelandic thruma. Are you sure theihvÛ is
          > >> correct, especially since it looks a lot like it's related to
          Germanic
          > >> Tiwaz, the god of war and the sky (also Tiw, Tig, Tiu, Tyr)?
          >
          > Theihwo isn't related to Tiwaz < *Deiwos (which has a long i and
          would
          > be Teiws in Gothic); it's probably *tenkw- > thenhwon- > Go theihwo,
          > perhaps meaning "thick cloud" in origin.
          > But the god's name would probably have still been !Thunars or
          !Thunrs;
          > most of the Germanic languages show evidence of the syncope to -nr-
          > (*Thunraz); note that it is still Thórr in Icelandic, even when the
          common
          > noun for thunder is different!

          Yes, thunars sounds realistic!

          PSThe link to the mound is wrong since it has moved. I send you the
          right URL in the next message!DS