[gothic-l] Gotland and Beowulf?

  • got@yesbox.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 1999
      I thought that I should show you a possible candidate for Beowulf´s
      mound "Hronesnes". Rone, until 600 years ago called Hrone. Also by
      ethnologist P-A Säve was collected in 1840ies a story about a dragon
      (lindorm), that was guarding the treasure inside. The only problem is
      that Uggarde(8m high)was probably erected during the bronze-age. The
      mound is not excavated yet, but that would be interesting of course.

      http://www.lizoft.se/images/sodragotland01.jpg

      As you can see it is situated at number 212. The waterlevel was
      slightly higher then and the mound could have been a well known
      landmark. My suggestion for the "nes" itself, is the landtongue between
      Ronehamn and Uggarde rojr. The Edda is based on some real events as
      Beowulf.

      http://www.rashm.se/foto/x_flyg06.htm

      Do anybody think it´s correct that Hrone might have evolved to Rone?
      The theory is not mine, but Gad Rausing´s, an archeologist, well known
      industrialist and one of the founders of Tetra Pak corporation.

      http://www.gotland.luma.com
      http://www.expage.com/page/gothicpage/

      Gutwulfs