[gothic-l] Re: Crimean Gothic

  • Tim O'Neill
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 1999
      Tomas Mac an Chrosain wrote:

      > I was very interested in this subject as well. I was trying to find out
      > what happen to the descendents of the Goths of Crimea, but some people
      > posted some messages months ago indicating the only conclusion I could
      > come to is that they may have been killed off or assimilated. Perhaps
      > someone could provide us with some references. Goths belonged to the
      > church which was Arian in Christology, but later surely become Orthodox
      > or Catholic (as in Western Europe). I'm sure the Crimean Goths were
      > probably Orthodox Christians under the Patriarch of Kiev.

      It seems the Crimean Goths became Catholic quite early on. Many of the
      Gothic 'viking' expeditions of the 250s originated from the Crimea and
      large numbers of orthodox Roman captives brought to the area probably
      set the scene. In 404 AD the Crimean Goths asked the Patriarch John
      Chrysostom for a Catholic bishop to replace Unila, who Chrysostom had
      appointed earlier and who had since died. In 548 they made a
      similar request to Constantinople and also for military aid against
      their Hunnic neighbours.

      Three other snippets about the Crimean Goths: Procopius describes
      one of the encounters between the Crimean Goths and the Huns and
      says they repelled Hunnic cavalry by forming a 'fence' of shields
      bristling with spears.

      Theodoric the Great also formally asked the Crimean Goths to join
      his expedition to Italy, but they declined with thanks (out of respect
      for an Amal but due to religious reservations perhaps?)

      In about 1750 a Jesuit from Vienna named Mondorf ransomed a prisoner
      from the Turkish galleys who turned out to be from the Crimea and
      whose native language bore a resemblance to German. If this was
      a corrupted form of Gothic, this means that there were still
      people speaking (something like) Gothic as recently as 250 years ago.

      I, like Francisc, would also like to know if there is a full list
      of Crimean Gothic on the web. Here are a few more words which I've
      pieced together from various sources:
      goltz = gold (Go. gulths)
      schlipen = sleep (Go. slepan)
      statz = earth, ground (Go. staths 'place')
      baar = boy (Go. barn 'child')
      wichtgata = white (Go. hweitata)
      tzo = thou (Go. thu)
      ies = he (Go. is)

      Apparently Busbecq's list also included the Crimean Gothic numerals
      up to ninety, which are all recognisably Gothic, though the numbers
      for 100 and 1000 are apparently Iranian.

      Hopefully others can add to this list and to the information about
      this fascinating last pocket of Gothia.
      Hails,

      Tim O'Neill
      Tasmanian Devil
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
        This might be of interest to some people here:

        The article contains a detailed discussion of Crimean Gothic sounds
        and an interpretation of the song Busbecq recorded.