[gothic-l] Re: What means "Visigoth"?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
      On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, got@... wrote:

      > I once read that visi-, could come from weihs "holy". In ON veigr. So
      > one theory was that the name should mean "the sacred, supreme goths".
      > But your *wizu sounds very probable and it seem realistic. I also
      > wonder if terwingi and greutingi come out of scorn for each other.
      > Calling eachother "woodpeople" and "stonygroundpeople", could be way of
      > teasing eachother, and later it was to be accepted by them. It would be
      > interesting to know if the terrain W and NW of the Black sea is
      > especially forested or stony.

      The terrain W of the Black Sea (where now my country is, the ancient
      Dacia) was indeed very forested at that time.

      A stony terrain? In this region I know only the region between the Danube
      and the Balck Sea, called in the past Scytia Minor and today Dobrudja or
      Dobrogea. Could this be the greut- of the Gerutungi?