[gothic-l] Dwarf and other words

  • abrigon
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 1999
      I wonder what Dwarf and it's plural would be in Gothic? Seeing some info
      on the Conlang list.

      Mike

    • Neil Fulton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
        > I wonder what Dwarf and it's plural would be in Gothic?

        Presumably *dwairgs, *dwairgos (it's just an ordinary masc.
        noun: as far as I know, English is the only language where
        phonetic developments make the plural form look odd).

        Neil
      • got@yesbox.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
          nfulto-@... (neil fulton) wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=1247
          > > I wonder what Dwarf and it's plural would be in Gothic?
          >
          > Presumably *dwairgs, *dwairgos (it's just an ordinary masc.
          > noun: as far as I know, English is the only language where
          > phonetic developments make the plural form look odd).
          >
          > Neil

          That was interesting!
          In Sw.dvärg "dwarf", in plural "dvärgar"