[gothic-l] Yeats in Gothic 1

  • Pagliarulo Giuseppe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 1999
      After having restudied the weak declension of adjectives (and realized what blue errors I've been making!), I've come back to my laboratory of translation. Here's the first part of Yeats' "Sailing to Byzantium". The poem is divided into four parts, so you have to expect three more postings on this thread (hasn't anybody run away?).
      Nothing has come out about "mackerel", so I'm translating this by a plain "fisks". Neologisms and source text are given below.

      Siglands du Bwzantjon

      Þata nist land sineigam. Juggans
      in armam juggane, fuglos in triwam
      - þo diwandona kunja - siggwandans,
      fullans fiske saiwos, ahvodrusos lahse,
      fisks, faihu þau fugls, mikiljand du asanai
      þatei ussatjada, usqimiþ, swiltiþuh.
      Gripanai fram þamma lustuleikin saggwa, allai unkarond
      gamaudeinins unalþandeins gahugdais.

       Siglan (sv3): to sail. Compare OE seglan sægl suglon soglen.
      Bwzantjo (wf): Byzantium.
      Ahvodrus: (water)fall (ahva + drus "fall").
      Lahs: salmon (sm). Compare OE leax, German Lachs, Swedish lax.
      Usqiman: to be born.
      Lustuleiks: sensual (< lustus).
      Unkaron: to neglect (< karon "to care about").
      Gamaudeins: monument (extended meaning).

      Sailing to Byzantium
      That is no country for old men. The young
      in one another's arms, birds in the trees
      - those dying generations - at their song,
      the salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
      fish, flesh or fowl, commend all summer long
      whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
      Caught in that sensual music, all neglect
      monuments of unageing intellect.