Pluperfect exercises from Chapter 9 of Lambdin

  • Claire Knudsen-Latta
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2014
      Good afternoon,

      I've been working my way through Lamdin's Introduction to the Gothic Language without much difficulty, however I'm not sure I'm understanding the use of the past participle in constructing the pluperfect, specifically the declination rubric.  I've gone through the exercises at the end of the chapter and attached them below, if someone has a minute to look at them and tell me if I've done them correctly or completely missed the mark, I would really appreciate it.

      Thank you,
      Claire

      ---

      C. Translate and convert to the corresponding plural form of the pluperfect
      1.  Gawaurht ist þata kas.
      i.   The pot has been fashioned
      ii.   Gawaurhta wesun þo kasa

      2.  Rodiþ ist þata waurd
      i.   The word has been said
      ii.    Rodida wesun þo waurda

      3.  Ufdaupida ist so qino
      i.    The woman has been baptized
      ii.   Ufdaupidos wesun þos qinons

      4.  Gatimriþs ist sa gards
      i.   The house has been built
      ii.   Gatimridai wesun þai gardeis

      5.  Insandiþs im
      i.    I have been sent
      ii.    Insandidai wesum

      6.  Gahausida ist þeina bida
      i.   Your prayer has been heard
      ii.   Gahausidos wesun þeinos bidos.

      7.  Frabauht ist þata skip
      i.    That ship has been sold
      ii.    Frabauhta wesun þo skipa

      8.  Gawandiþs ist sa skalks
      i.   The servant has returned
      ii.   Gawandidai ist þai skalkos

      9.  Fraqistiþ ist razn is
      i.   His house has been destroyed
      ii.   Fraqistida wesun razna ize

      10.  Gahailiþs im
      i.    I have been healed
      ii.    Gahailidai wesum

      11.  Þiuþida is þu
      i.    You have been blessed
      ii.    Þiuþidos wesuþ jus

      12.  Galagida ist ansts is ana ins
      i.   His grace has been layed on them
      ii.    Galagidos wesun ansteis is ana ins

      13.  Gameliþ ist þein namo
      i.    Your name has been writen
      ii.    Gamelida wesun þeina namona

      14.  Gatawida ist so mahts
      i.    The power has been designated
      ii.    Gatawidos wesun þos mahteis
    • OSCAR HERRE

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2014
          Thank you!

          Claire

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2014
            Dear Claire,

            I don't mean to be pedantic, but you may wish to note that there is no pluperfect -- or present perfect -- in Gothic: there are only two tenses (preterite and present) in two moods (indicative and optative/subjunctive). The imperative exists only in the present. Thus, there is NO construction *haba gahailith = English 'I have healed', contrary to the other respondent's claim. You can check this yourself by consulting the Braune/Heidermanns grammar (pp. 141-144), for example, or any other pertinent scholarly reference work on the Gothic language.

            Lambdin (p. 37) is speaking of the ENGLISH equivalents when he uses the term pluperfect. His exercise C from lesson 9 is practice is forming the paraphrastic passive, which consists of the auxiliary verb wisan/wairthan in either the present or preterite + past participle of the main verb.

            Your answer for no. 8 should have 'wesun' rather than 'ist': thus 'gawandidai wesun thai skalkos' (plural form is needed here to agree with 'skalkos' and the exercise requires the past form of the aux.). Otherwise I see no other mistakes.

            Edmund

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 12, 2014
              Edmund,

              Thank you for the clarification, I really appreciate it!

              Claire