Distances (linear measures)

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
      I was looking for the Gothic word for -MILE- and I found Rasta.
      Fine, but just what does Rasta mean? I have a hard time believing that the Goths had a measurement equal to a Roman mile.
      And, what other measurements did the Goths have?

      As always, thank you for your help.
      Tom
    • halsteis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi.
        In Norway Rast means "rest/pause". One "Rast way" is the distance you
        travel between taking a pause, and possible a snack.

        Don't know if this is any connection.

        Halstein.

        > I was looking for the Gothic word for -MILE- and I found Rasta.
        > Fine, but just what does Rasta mean? I have a hard time believing that
        > the Goths had a measurement equal to a Roman mile.
        > And, what other measurements did the Goths have?
        >
        > As always, thank you for your help.
        > Tom

      • OSCAR HERRE
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
          didnt they use the inch as a measure.....i think its alein or alan fer the inch.....

          In Norway Rast means "rest/pause". One "Rast way" is the distance you
          travel between taking a pause, and possible a snack.

          Don't know if this is any connection.

          Halstein.

          > I was looking for the Gothic word for -MILE- and I found Rasta.
          > Fine, but just what does Rasta mean? I have a hard time believing that
          > the Goths had a measurement equal to a Roman mile.
          > And, what other measurements did the Goths have?
          >
          > As always, thank you for your help.
          > Tom

        • David
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
            Consulting Lehmann's Gothic Etymological Dictionary, for "rasta" we find: It is only recorded in acc. sg. in Matthew 5:41, "equivalent of two leagues... one being equal to 1500 Roman paces". So glossing it as "mile" seems about right. The etymology is called "obscure", but cf. cognates OE raest, rest; OS rasta; OHG resta.

            Lehmann on "aleina" = "ell (distance from elbow to finger tips)", only acc. sg. Matthew 6:27. Cf. OE eln, OHG elina. Connected to proto-Indo-European olina, "elbow".

            I hope this is helpful.
            David

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

            > didnt they use the inch as a measure.....i think its alein or alan fer the inch.....

          • marja erwin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
              1,000 Roman paces of 2 steps each = 1 Roman mile

              1½ Roman miles = 1 Gallic league, I think

              so then 3 Roman miles = 1 Gothic rasta

              One short rest break every 2-4 miles isn't unreasonable.

              On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 23:45 +0000, David wrote:

              > Consulting Lehmann's Gothic Etymological Dictionary, for "rasta" we
              > find: It is only recorded in acc. sg. in Matthew 5:41, "equivalent of
              > two leagues... one being equal to 1500 Roman paces". So glossing it as
              > "mile" seems about right. The etymology is called "obscure", but cf.
              > cognates OE raest, rest; OS rasta; OHG resta.
              >
              > Lehmann on "aleina" = "ell (distance from elbow to finger tips)", only
              > acc. sg. Matthew 6:27. Cf. OE eln, OHG elina. Connected to
              > proto-Indo-European olina, "elbow".
              >
              > I hope this is helpful.
              > David
              >
              > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > didnt they use the inch as a measure.....i think its alein or alan
              > fer the inch.....

            • Thomas Chelmowski
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2013
                Thank you guys so much.  I appreciate it.

                Tom

              • Edmund
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Isidore of Seville writes that "two leagues or three miles make one 'rasta' among Germani." I do not have the page reference to hand, but if you need it, I can hunt it up. Thus, according to Isidore of Seville, one rasta = three Roman miles = 4,400 meters. I doubt that the rasta was an exact breadth, and Isidore's equation should likely be seen as a rough approximation. It is tempting to think that the rasta was defined in terms of the body, as the ell and fathom have traditionally been. Thus, the rasta may have been thought of as so many strides: around 6,ooo, assuming an average breadth of stride for a man to be about 3/4 of a meter, would be a rough equivalent.