[gothic-l] New Gothic

  • M. Edward Carver
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 1998
      Sounds cool. Let's draught a formal proposal as a basis, and outline
      the "new" gothic, or "filled-in" gothic; a sort of consititution, if you
      will, which will describe the grammatical structure of the language, as
      well as a section on syntax, vocabulary, and neologismic mechanics
      (rules for creating new words). I know of some texts that describe
      germanic sound changes in general, as well as specifically what Gothic
      went through. This could be useful in determining what the "missing"
      vocabulary might look like. We would also need to describe the style
      and usage in comparison to other languages, i.e. what makes it
      structurally different than west or north germanic. it certainly is
      more versatile a language, and easier to build new words from its many
      (at wulfila's time) actively employed word-formation affixes.

      Matt
    • M. Edward Carver
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 1998
        Here's an example I drew up of what a site devoted to this "new" gothic
        language might look like. The links aren't up yet.

        http://www.csulb.edu/~mcarver/goth.html

        BTW concerning eric's apprehension toward "revising" gothic: revision is
        the only way we're going to be able to use Gothic as a viable language,
        to express everything the modern person requires expression of.
        Revision is actually the wrong word. Augmentation is a better one.
        We're pumping life into Gothic. Any original 'Gothic' spoken or written
        nowadays is perforce 'new' and unlike anything before, simply by
        definition of being 'original'. It's unattested. You can try to stay
        as 'traditional' as you want, but you're still creating new Gothic.
        Therefore, why not go for the gusto and bring Gothic up to its fullest?
        The Gothic language has phonetic and grammatical traits which set it
        apart in beauty and mode from other languages. It could be a terrific
        means of communication and expression of thought and feeling. We can
        make it such.

        --Matt