Re: Gothic thing

    Message 1 of 20 , May 26 9:09 AM
      Hi Oscar,

      where did you get the word "gaquinta" from? I cannot find this word anywhere. It does not sound Germanic or Gothic to me at all.

      The Gothic word for assembly should be "ga-qumths". The word is derived from "qiman" = to come. Thus, Gothic "-qumths" corresponds to modern German "-kunft" as in Zusammen-kunft" meaning gathering.

      Cheers
      Dirk

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

      > well assembly is gaquinta in goth...galeikada familia gaquintam.....or family get togethering.....

    • OSCAR HERRE
      Message 2 of 20 , May 26 9:14 AM
        i read it as a derivative from gaqumths......

        where did you get the word "gaquinta" from? I cannot find this word anywhere. It does not sound Germanic or Gothic to me at all.

        The Gothic word for assembly should be "ga-qumths". The word is derived from "qiman" = to come. Thus, Gothic "-qumths" corresponds to modern German "-kunft" as in Zusammen-kunft" meaning gathering.

        Cheers
        Dirk

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

        > well assembly is gaquinta in goth...galeikada familia gaquintam.....or family get togethering.....

      • OSCAR HERRE
        Message 3 of 20 , May 26 9:17 AM
          who went to those round tables...man i couldnt get away to go to the one in madrid.....

          Message 4 of 20 , May 27 12:35 PM
            Its gaqiman = to assmple, to come together (modern German gekommen) which leads to gaqumths = the assmply, the coming together as in old High German ge-cumpft and modern German (zusammen-kunft).

            Further possibilities for Gothic gathering might be:

            *mahals

            *thingus (I guess)

            *samanqumths (modern German zusammenkunft)

            But I cannot see how one could arrive at gaquinta.

            Cheers
            Dirk (which is Thiudareiks in Gothic)

            Message 5 of 20 , May 27 12:42 PM
              just when I clicked on "send" I also remembered

              Gothic gafaurds = council/gathering

              Cheers,
              Dirk

              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin@...> wrote:

              > Its gaqiman = to assmple, to come together (modern German gekommen) which leads to gaqumths = the assmply, the coming together as in old High German ge-cumpft and modern German (zusammen-kunft).
              >
              > Further possibilities for Gothic gathering might be:
              >
              > *mahals
              >
              > *thingus (I guess)
              >
              > *samanqumths (modern German zusammenkunft)
              >
              > But I cannot see how one could arrive at gaquinta.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Dirk (which is Thiudareiks in Gothic)
              >

              > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@> wrote:
              > >
              > > i read it as a derivative from gaqumths......

            • OSCAR HERRE
              Message 6 of 20 , May 27 3:35 PM
                my mistake......we should quiz one another on our ability to write and speak goth....

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
                  Ik ni thata magan taujan. Kunthi gutiska razda sleihts jah vans ist. :-)

                  Hails
                  Dirk / Thiudareiks