Re: Gothic thing

  • nodead4
    Message 1 of 20 , May 5, 2013
      Thank you Oscar, now we have three options to name thing in our novel, maybe in their idiosyncrasy named it in their own way (joke).

      Tore, my email has been disable for not using (and again enabled right now), I do not know why Yahoo has allowed me to join this group, but I am real for sure. Anyway, I you or someone wants to write to me, my dayly email is kainearthursson@...

      Message 2 of 20 , May 26, 2013
        Hi,

        the Gothic word "waihts" as somebody suggested means thing, object and probably demon. It corresponds to Old High German "wiht" also meaning thing, object and demon. Compare also to Old High German "nio-wiht" meaning no-thing.

        Modern German Ge-wicht and der Wicht are still used today.

        The Gothic word for assembly "ga-qumths" derived from "qiman" meaning "to come".

        Cheers
        Dirk

        Message 3 of 20 , May 26, 2013
          Hi Oscar,

          where did you get the word "gaquinta" from? I cannot find this word anywhere. It does not sound Germanic or Gothic to me at all.

          The Gothic word for assembly should be "ga-qumths". The word is derived from "qiman" = to come. Thus, Gothic "-qumths" corresponds to modern German "-kunft" as in Zusammen-kunft" meaning gathering.

          Cheers
          Dirk

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

          > well assembly is gaquinta in goth...galeikada familia gaquintam.....or family get togethering.....

        • OSCAR HERRE
          Message 4 of 20 , May 26, 2013
            i read it as a derivative from gaqumths......

            where did you get the word "gaquinta" from? I cannot find this word anywhere. It does not sound Germanic or Gothic to me at all.

            The Gothic word for assembly should be "ga-qumths". The word is derived from "qiman" = to come. Thus, Gothic "-qumths" corresponds to modern German "-kunft" as in Zusammen-kunft" meaning gathering.

            Cheers
            Dirk

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

            > well assembly is gaquinta in goth...galeikada familia gaquintam.....or family get togethering.....

          • OSCAR HERRE
            Message 5 of 20 , May 26, 2013
              who went to those round tables...man i couldnt get away to go to the one in madrid.....

              Message 6 of 20 , May 27, 2013
                Its gaqiman = to assmple, to come together (modern German gekommen) which leads to gaqumths = the assmply, the coming together as in old High German ge-cumpft and modern German (zusammen-kunft).

                Further possibilities for Gothic gathering might be:

                *mahals

                *thingus (I guess)

                *samanqumths (modern German zusammenkunft)

                But I cannot see how one could arrive at gaquinta.

                Cheers
                Dirk (which is Thiudareiks in Gothic)

                Message 7 of 20 , May 27, 2013
                  just when I clicked on "send" I also remembered

                  Gothic gafaurds = council/gathering

                  Cheers,
                  Dirk

                  --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin@...> wrote:

                  > Its gaqiman = to assmple, to come together (modern German gekommen) which leads to gaqumths = the assmply, the coming together as in old High German ge-cumpft and modern German (zusammen-kunft).
                  >
                  > Further possibilities for Gothic gathering might be:
                  >
                  > *mahals
                  >
                  > *thingus (I guess)
                  >
                  > *samanqumths (modern German zusammenkunft)
                  >
                  > But I cannot see how one could arrive at gaquinta.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Dirk (which is Thiudareiks in Gothic)
                  >

                  > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > i read it as a derivative from gaqumths......

                • OSCAR HERRE
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 27, 2013
                    my mistake......we should quiz one another on our ability to write and speak goth....

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
                      Ik ni thata magan taujan. Kunthi gutiska razda sleihts jah vans ist. :-)

                      Hails
                      Dirk / Thiudareiks