Gothic thing

  • nodead4
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2 3:11 PM
      Sai! My wife and me are writting a novel (half fiction) about IV century goths. Our question is how would be the name of the best known common germanic "thing" as the gathering of the kunja. If there was a "Thing of all gutes" in Scandinavia, such similar name does exist in gothic language?

      thagks ana framgahts :)
    • Tore Gannholm
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2 11:41 PM
        The Gutes did not live in Scandinavia. They lived and still live on the island Gotland in the middle of the Baltic Sea.
        They concluded a trade and peace agreement with the immigrant Svear (Heruls) on the Scandinavian peninslula about 550 CE
        The Gutna Allthingi is very old.

        Tore

        3 maj 2013 kl. 00:11 skrev nodead4:

        > Sai! My wife and me are writting a novel (half fiction) about IV century goths. Our question is how would be the name of the best known common germanic "thing" as the gathering of the kunja. If there was a "Thing of all gutes" in Scandinavia, such similar name does exist in gothic language?
        >
        > thagks ana framgahts :)

      • OSCAR HERRE
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3 5:48 AM
          i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

          The Gutes did not live in Scandinavia. They lived and still live on the island Gotland in the middle of the Baltic Sea.
          They concluded a trade and peace agreement with the immigrant Svear (Heruls) on the Scandinavian peninslula about 550 CE
          The Gutna Allthingi is very old.

          Tore

          3 maj 2013 kl. 00:11 skrev nodead4:

          > Sai! My wife and me are writting a novel (half fiction) about IV century goths. Our question is how would be the name of the best known common germanic "thing" as the gathering of the kunja. If there was a "Thing of all gutes" in Scandinavia, such similar name does exist in gothic language?
          >
          > thagks ana framgahts :)

        • nodead4
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3 8:17 AM
            Well, in spite of the fact that those heruls were not entirely svears (they were mixed with many other goths and sarmatians) coming from Illiria, I must repeat my doubt: thingi (old gutnish), so how is "thing" in wulfila's gothic?

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

            > i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

          • ingemarn2000
            Message 5 of 20 , May 3 8:24 AM
              Yes, they did - not only on Gotland but as well in southern Scandinavia. Tores view is a little short!

              Concerning the meeting I suggest Þing as a common Germanic term.

              Ingemar

              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

              > i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

            • Andreas Schwarcz
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3 8:52 AM
                There does not seem to be a word for „thing, ding“ in the sense of a
                judicial assembly in Wulfila`s Gothic. The Leges Visigothorum know a
                „conventus publicus“, where the judge has to declare his verdicts in public,
                but they do not give a gothic word for that, probably because by that time
                no one spoke Gothic any longer in Visisgothic Spain.

                Best regards,

                Andreas Schwarcz

                Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr. Andreas Schwarcz

                Department Chair

                Department for History

                University of Vienna

                Universitätsring 1

                1010 Vienna

                Austria

                Tel. 0043-1-42-77/272-16

                Fax 0043-1-42-77/92-72

                andreas.schwarcz@...

                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gothic-l%40yahoogroups.com> , OSCAR
                HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

                > i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern
                sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

              • OSCAR HERRE
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3 9:26 AM
                  the gothic word for thing is waihts.....

                  Well, in spite of the fact that those heruls were not entirely svears (they were mixed with many other goths and sarmatians) coming from Illiria, I must repeat my doubt: thingi (old gutnish), so how is "thing" in wulfila's gothic?

                  --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

                  > i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

                • Andreas Schwarcz
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3 10:18 AM
                    „Waihts“ means eng. „thing“, in modern German „Ding, Sache“, but not germ. „Thing, Ding“ in the sense of a public assembly.

                    All the best,

                    Andreas

                    Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr. Andreas Schwarcz

                    Department Chair

                    Department for History

                    University of Vienna

                    Universitätsring 1

                    1010 Vienna

                    Austria

                    Tel. 0043-1-42-77/272-16

                    Fax 0043-1-42-77/92-72

                    andreas.schwarcz@...

                    the gothic word for thing is waihts.....

                    Well, in spite of the fact that those heruls were not entirely svears (they were mixed with many other goths and sarmatians) coming from Illiria, I must repeat my doubt: thingi (old gutnish), so how is "thing" in wulfila's gothic?

                    --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gothic-l%40yahoogroups.com> , OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

                    > i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

                  • nodead4
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3 2:13 PM
                      Many thanx to you all for your responses and enlightment about this topic, lets see how we'll call the assembly in our book.

                      All the best.

                      Kaine.

                      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ingemarn2000" <ingemar@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, they did - not only on Gotland but as well in southern Scandinavia. Tores view is a little short!
                      >
                      > Concerning the meeting I suggest Þing as a common Germanic term.
                      >
                      > Ingemar
                      >
                      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

                    • OSCAR HERRE
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3 7:02 PM
                        well assembly is gaquinta in goth...galeikada familia gaquintam.....or family get togethering.....

                        Many thanx to you all for your responses and enlightment about this topic, lets see how we'll call the assembly in our book.

                        All the best.

                        Kaine.

                        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ingemarn2000" <ingemar@...> wrote:

                        > Yes, they did - not only on Gotland but as well in southern Scandinavia. Tores view is a little short!
                        >
                        > Concerning the meeting I suggest Þing as a common Germanic term.
                        >
                        > Ingemar
                        >
                        > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

                      • Tore Gannholm
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3 10:33 PM
                          Kaine, your e-mail does not work. Are you real?

                          nodead4@...

                          Technical details of permanent failure:
                          Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain yahoo.es by mx-eu.mail.am0.yahoodns.net. [188.125.69.79].

                          The error that the other server returned was:
                          554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to nodead4@... cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued [#102]. - mta1069.mail.ir2.yahoo.com

                          Tore

                          3 maj 2013 kl. 23:13 skrev nodead4:

                          > Many thanx to you all for your responses and enlightment about this topic, lets see how we'll call the assembly in our book.
                          >
                          > All the best.
                          >
                          > Kaine.
                          >
                          > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ingemarn2000" <ingemar@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Yes, they did - not only on Gotland but as well in southern Scandinavia. Tores view is a little short!
                          > >
                          > > Concerning the meeting I suggest �ing as a common Germanic term.
                          > >
                          > > Ingemar
                          > >
                          > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > i thought alot of them or their relatives live in southern sweden...gothenburg, vasterland, etc.....

                        • nodead4
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 5 10:26 AM
                            Thank you Oscar, now we have three options to name thing in our novel, maybe in their idiosyncrasy named it in their own way (joke).

                            Tore, my email has been disable for not using (and again enabled right now), I do not know why Yahoo has allowed me to join this group, but I am real for sure. Anyway, I you or someone wants to write to me, my dayly email is kainearthursson@...

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 26 8:58 AM
                              Hi,

                              the Gothic word "waihts" as somebody suggested means thing, object and probably demon. It corresponds to Old High German "wiht" also meaning thing, object and demon. Compare also to Old High German "nio-wiht" meaning no-thing.

                              Modern German Ge-wicht and der Wicht are still used today.

                              The Gothic word for assembly "ga-qumths" derived from "qiman" meaning "to come".

                              Cheers
                              Dirk

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 26 9:09 AM
                                Hi Oscar,

                                where did you get the word "gaquinta" from? I cannot find this word anywhere. It does not sound Germanic or Gothic to me at all.

                                The Gothic word for assembly should be "ga-qumths". The word is derived from "qiman" = to come. Thus, Gothic "-qumths" corresponds to modern German "-kunft" as in Zusammen-kunft" meaning gathering.

                                Cheers
                                Dirk

                                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

                                > well assembly is gaquinta in goth...galeikada familia gaquintam.....or family get togethering.....

                              • OSCAR HERRE
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 26 9:14 AM
                                  i read it as a derivative from gaqumths......

                                  where did you get the word "gaquinta" from? I cannot find this word anywhere. It does not sound Germanic or Gothic to me at all.

                                  The Gothic word for assembly should be "ga-qumths". The word is derived from "qiman" = to come. Thus, Gothic "-qumths" corresponds to modern German "-kunft" as in Zusammen-kunft" meaning gathering.

                                  Cheers
                                  Dirk

                                  --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

                                  > well assembly is gaquinta in goth...galeikada familia gaquintam.....or family get togethering.....

                                • OSCAR HERRE
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 26 9:17 AM
                                    who went to those round tables...man i couldnt get away to go to the one in madrid.....

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 27 12:35 PM
                                      Its gaqiman = to assmple, to come together (modern German gekommen) which leads to gaqumths = the assmply, the coming together as in old High German ge-cumpft and modern German (zusammen-kunft).

                                      Further possibilities for Gothic gathering might be:

                                      *mahals

                                      *thingus (I guess)

                                      *samanqumths (modern German zusammenkunft)

                                      But I cannot see how one could arrive at gaquinta.

                                      Cheers
                                      Dirk (which is Thiudareiks in Gothic)

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 27 12:42 PM
                                        just when I clicked on "send" I also remembered

                                        Gothic gafaurds = council/gathering

                                        Cheers,
                                        Dirk

                                        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin@...> wrote:

                                        > Its gaqiman = to assmple, to come together (modern German gekommen) which leads to gaqumths = the assmply, the coming together as in old High German ge-cumpft and modern German (zusammen-kunft).
                                        >
                                        > Further possibilities for Gothic gathering might be:
                                        >
                                        > *mahals
                                        >
                                        > *thingus (I guess)
                                        >
                                        > *samanqumths (modern German zusammenkunft)
                                        >
                                        > But I cannot see how one could arrive at gaquinta.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers
                                        > Dirk (which is Thiudareiks in Gothic)
                                        >

                                        > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > i read it as a derivative from gaqumths......

                                      • OSCAR HERRE
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 27 3:35 PM
                                          my mistake......we should quiz one another on our ability to write and speak goth....

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 2, 2013
                                            Ik ni thata magan taujan. Kunthi gutiska razda sleihts jah vans ist. :-)

                                            Hails
                                            Dirk / Thiudareiks