Re: In desperation to learn the language of the Gutons any suggestions?

  • thomasruhm
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
      I wonder if Gothic sounds good with an Icelandic accent.

      You could tell us, which passages of the Gothic bible you are reading, so that we could follow. I find it hard to motivate me to learn Gothic and it might be easier if we could talk about what we are reading. I am learning Latin much more often then Gothic, because I already made much progress and there are more texts.
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2013
        David Salo's Gothic Lessons used to be the most layman-friendly introduction to the language, but his site has been down for some time. Lessons 1-8 have been compiled here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/32127826/Intruduction-to-Gothic. I think there are one or two more lessons way back in this list's archives.

        W.H. Bennett's book, An Introduction to the Gothic Language, is a good beginner course as well. Some of the information may be of more interest to the academic crowd, but you can easily ignore that stuff and still learn the language.

        Thomas Lambdin also has a book that is decent, but I don't like that there are no answer keys for the exercises.

        Jospeph Wright's Gothic Grammar is the go-to grammar for most Gothic-learners, but it's more of a reference work than a course book. I really didn't find it useful until I had spent some time with other resources.

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "svan" wrote:

        > I have been looking to learn the Gothic language. I was born in Iceland and have a good grasp on the sounds but i was looking for a less academia take on the language. Any help would be appreciated
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Svan Odulf Herul

      • thomasruhm
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2013
          He might be looking for a learning partner.
        • Sigi Vandewinkel
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2013
            Salo's lessons are still available via the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20041011213322/http://mendota.terracom.net/~dorothea/david/gothic/

            Sigi

            ________________________________
            David Salo's Gothic Lessons used to be the most layman-friendly introduction to the language, but his site has been down for some time. Lessons 1-8 have been compiled here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/32127826/Intruduction-to-Gothic. I think there are one or two more lessons way back in this list's archives.

            W.H. Bennett's book, An Introduction to the Gothic Language, is a good beginner course as well. Some of the information may be of more interest to the academic crowd, but you can easily ignore that stuff and still learn the language.

            Thomas Lambdin also has a book that is decent, but I don't like that there are no answer keys for the exercises.

            Jospeph Wright's Gothic Grammar is the go-to grammar for most Gothic-learners, but it's more of a reference work than a course book. I really didn't find it useful until I had spent some time with other resources.

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "svan" wrote:

            > I have been looking to learn the Gothic language. I was born in Iceland and have a good grasp on the sounds but i was looking for a less academia take on the language. Any help would be appreciated
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Svan Odulf Herul

          • Michael Everson
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2013
              On 9 Feb 2013, at 15:51, Sigi Vandewinkel <sigivandewinkel@...> wrote:

              > Salo's lessons are still available via the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20041011213322/http://mendota.terracom.net/~dorothea/david/gothic/

              Bah. He uses "th" instead of "þ" and "hw" instead of "ƕ".