Call for Papers - Gothic book project

  • kevin.behrens@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2012
      Faginoþ! I'm coming from the german "association for the gothic language" (www.vereindergotischensprache.de) to inform you that we are planning to publish a scientific book on Neogothic. You are all highly invited to contribute to it with articles or so. Here is the english version of the Call for Papers:

      Call for Papers

      As we discussed in our member meeting, it is our goal to establish a book project. We are searching for authors to write this book, as it will to become an anthology. There is already a potential publisher (Verlag Inspiration Un Limited) who is interested in publishing such.

      About the project:

      There are many previously-available works on historical Gothic. Therein the traditional text material and the grammar and lexicon that arise from it are dealt with. But there are topics similar to "Sprachausbau" and "Revitalisation" for which almost nothing has been published as of yet. This is where our work comes to fruition; these will be our main topics that will be put to the fore of our work. Besides contributions on newer developments in the research of Gothic, we would like to see topics that outrun the manner(s) with which Gothic has been treated so far. This means that all handlings on modern Gothic, often called Neogothic, are possible. We would like to see contributions that give an overview on the current efforts to the revitalisation of Gothic and inform about the methods, problems, motivation, status, network of these projects and/or about similarities or differences to other projects of the sprachausbau and revitalisation. A contribution could also be to inform about the Gothic Wikipedia. Especially desired are articles that make a contribution to the sprachausbau itself on their own. You can always deliberate with us about topic(s) that would be acceptable and possible.

      Every author can submit several articles, in either German or English.

      We have in principle a scientific demand for the contributions. It is not a prerequisite for authors to have a previous knowledge in the topic of linguistics; but have to be able to argue seriously, and to stick to the usual rules of scientific writing and citing. If there are problems or questions while writing, just contact us. We can certainly help you.

      Dates:
      Individual topics must be submitted by no later than the 31th of August 2012.

      (The term for the submission of your articles will be given later; it will be most likely at the end of this year.)

      For questions, consultation and submissions; please use this e-mail address:
      kontakt@...

      Take pleasure in finding a topic and writing:
      The team of the "association of the gothic language".
    • Michael Everson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2012
        On 4 Jul 2012, at 22:38, kevin.behrens@... wrote:

        > Faginoþ! I'm coming from the german "association for the gothic language" (www.vereindergotischensprache.de) to inform you that we are planning to publish a scientific book on Neogothic. You are all highly invited to contribute to it with articles or so. Here is the english version of the Call for Papers:

        I was interested to see what you're doing with fonts and font design, but many of the links on your site don't work.

        I was slightly disappointed to see you using "Hv" and "hv" in your Neogothic transliteration, instead of "Ƕ" and "ƕ". The lower-case letter was part of Unicode from the beginning; I wrote the proposal to encode the upper-case letter. (I also wrote the proposal to encode the Gothic script itself.)

      • Kevin Behrens
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2012
          Hey, thank you for your answer. What do you ment by fonts? Whether I use fonts on our website? Some sections on the site are not ready yet or have content, so they don't work. I am pretty sorry for that but I have to run that page on my own and there are so many other things I have to do that I don't always find enough time.
          To encode the Gothic script would be pretty useful, espacially on wikipedia for newcomers. I used it on my page 1. because the page is not ready yet and I didn't want to always copy that letter from another site and 2. because this way it is easier for people that don't know any gothic to write in it. But when I find more time, I will do that all over and maybe I'll use "Ƕ" and "ƕ". Thank you for your feedback. ;)
          Greets,
          Kevin

          To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
          From: everson@...
          Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 00:13:55 +0100
          Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Call for Papers - Gothic book project

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012
            Hey,
            so there is nobody that is interested in writing an article on that topic? The deadline we applied is already crossed. You could still be a part of it. I think this is the ultimate chance to contribute to a publication.
            It would be a big pity if this project would fail because of the little participation.
            Greetings from Germany
          • thomasruhm
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012
              It is hard to write something about Neogothic. Probably it is still very inhomogeneous. I hope Neogothic will develop into a recognizable system.

              Thomas
            • thomasruhm
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012
                    As it is in the Call for Papers it is not necessary to be about the typological structure of Neogothic. There are so many other things that could be considered. Neogothic is not very strict defined. It is mostly the same as some centuries before, there are just some more things added. There are not little efforts to develop the language. You could write about so many different things. ;) Just everything that goes beyond the usual handling of Gothic.
                  • OSCAR HERRE
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012
                      ill do a paper....any particular subject......yea you guys speak pretty good english....

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 25, 2012
                        > yea you guys speak pretty good english....
                        >>Was that ironically meant? Because my English is really not good.

                        So, you would like to write an article?? That sounds great! =) Do you have any peticular topic that you'd like to write about??

                        To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
                        From: duke.co@...
                        Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:18:44 -0700
                        Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Re: Call for Papers - Gothic book project

                        From: kevin.behrens@... <becareful_icanseeyourfuture@...>

                        To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com

                        Date: Monday, September 24, 2012, 2:28 PM

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 25, 2012
                          um ill say my opinion of my traveling thru europe.....

                          To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
                          From: duke.co@...
                          Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:18:44 -0700

                          From: kevin.behrens@... <becareful_icanseeyourfuture@...>