Re: [gothic-l] Greeting Hails

  • Grsartor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2012
      Well, it looks as if we have a variety of suggestions: stick with "hails"
      in all circumstances, as the expression may have become formulaic; decline
      it for gender and number in the normal way; or take a look at what Old Norse
      did, since it has bequeathed us a large body of literature, and the
      language distinguished genders in both singular and plural. It is a pity we no
      longer seem to have llama_nom, who could doubtless have informed us about
      this. The only further comment I can make about Old Norse usage is that in the
      example Þunragais gave us,

      verit heilir, konungr

      the use of a plural verb with plural adjective in a remark addressed to a
      king looks as if it might be a polite use of a plural for a logical singular
      such as we find in a lot of European tongues, including French and German
      (not to say English, in which the process has run its course by having the
      singular "thou/thee" ousted by the plural "ye/you"). Could Þunragais or
      others tell us more about the Old Norse practice?

      Gerry T.

      becareful_icanseeyourfuture@... writes:

      So, I would say, when greeting a male person it's: Hails. When greeting a
      female person: haila. When greeting a neuter thing (which is not often):
      Hailata. And in Plural: Hailai, m; Hailos, f; Haila, n.
      Would you agree with that? It appears logically that the forms are
      declined for persons.

      To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      From: thomas@...
      Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 11:07:08 +0200
      Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Greeting Hails

      In other languages greetings and other frequently used expressions with
      not much meaning the singular can be generalized.

    • Thorgeir Holm
      Message 2 of 18 , May 31, 2012
        31.05.12 21.29 wrait Grsartor@...:

        > The only further comment I can make about Old Norse usage is that in the
        > example Þunragais gave us,
        >
        > verit heilir, konungr
        >

        > Could Þunragais or
        > others tell us more about the Old Norse practice?

        I found an even more interesting quote in Fritzner's dictionary: “Heil
        ok sæl, María!”, i.e. ‘Ave Maria’, which is an alone-standing ‘hails’ in
        the feminine. So it seems Old Norse did decline the greeting even if it
        was the one word variety.

        Þunragais

      • OSCAR HERRE
        Message 3 of 18 , May 31, 2012
          yea whatever happened to him....he was  or is from england i presume......just wanted toget clarification on the use of the word  " is"......like in english its used as a preposition i think.....like he is fishing today...in goth would that be.....ina fiskandan ist dudag....

          From: thomas@...
          Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 11:07:08 +0200

          In other languages greetings and other frequently used expressions with
          not much meaning the singular can be generalized.

        • anheropl0x
          Message 4 of 18 , May 31, 2012
            In just about any other language, you never say "subject is verb." It's always "subject verb." "He is fishing today" would be "Ïs fiskoth himma daga." The is in English in your example is just English's piss poor grammar. He fishes today = He is fishing today.

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

            > yea whatever happened to him....he was  or is from england i presume......just wanted toget clarification on the use of the word  " is"......like in english its used as a preposition i think.....like he is fishing today...in goth would that be.....ina fiskandan ist dudag....

          • r_scherp
            Message 5 of 18 , May 31, 2012
              Hails!

              Well, the opinions vary. I think we also have to distinguish between adjective and noun. In 'Verit heilir' the word clearly appears as an adjective. In German, however, 'Heil' seems to be used primarily as a noun that calls for the dative: 'Heil dir'. The examples Gerry posted seem to indicate a similar usage, but with an accusative instead of dative. Is that a valid interpretation?

              Randulfs
              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Ruhm <thomas@...> wrote:

              > In other languages greetings and other frequently used expressions with not much meaning the singular can be generalized.

            • Kevin Behrens
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2012
                Hailai,
                on our website www.vereindergotischensprache.de I want to start a neogothic language course. And it's pretty difficult to invent konversational phrases, the bible is not really known to have such ones attested. ;) I now choosed the declined forms. They can't be wrong and as far as I see we won't come to a real solution on this. And maybe some of the possibilities are right. On older Gothic the forms could have been declined and in later times the declination could have been reduced.

                Another question is: How would you translate the phrase: How are you?
                According to most languages I choosed: Hvaiwa is �u?
                Would that be appropriate?

                To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
                From: r_scherp@...
                Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 03:00:02 +0000
                Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Greeting Hails

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 2, 2012
                  Herewith, something of a ragbag of what I am able to contribute to
                  answering questions raised in recent posts.

                  About the interpretation of the "hail" constructions attested in Gothic: I
                  would take "thiudan" to be vocative (o King) in

                  Hails thiudan - [be] hale o King

                  The alternative version with "thiudans" is trickier; it may be due to
                  miscopying or looseness of usage.

                  About the word order in

                  thiudiskaland thiudangardi ist: it might be worth while to look for some
                  examples in Wulfila, but bear in mind that he tends to stick closely to the
                  Greek he translates.

                  About how to say "how are you?". Gothic appears to have had a phrase "ubil
                  haban" (to have evil) or "ubilaba haban" (to have badly) for saying "to be
                  ill". But these look like very literal translations of the New Testament's
                  Greek (kakos echein = to have badly) and so we perhaps ought not to be too
                  eager to postulate a Gothic phrase literally meaning "how do you have?".
                  On the other hand, just such an expression for "how are you" is used in
                  Norwegian: hvordan har du det, which I think means "how do you have it?"

                  In answer to one other question, about the use of is/was + participle:
                  other European tongues than English seem to have sensibly avoided this curse,
                  but it does occur in Gothic, e.g. in Mark 1:21

                  was laisjands ins swe waldufni habands jah ni swaswe thai bokarjos - he
                  taught them (literally was teaching them) as one having authority and not
                  like the scribes.

                  However, Wulfila's Gothic here, as often, is a very literal rendition of
                  the original; Mark's Greek has the same construction. Unfortunately I am not
                  well versed enough in Greek to say how Mark's "was teaching" (en didaskon)
                  would have been felt to differ from a simple imperfect.

                  At a guess, the Goths did not normally use the construction in question.

                  Gerry T.

                  becareful_icanseeyourfuture@... writes:

                  Hailai,
                  on our website www.vereindergotischensprache.de I want to start a
                  neogothic language course. And it's pretty difficult to invent konversational
                  phrases, the bible is not really known to have such ones attested. ;) I now
                  choosed the declined forms. They can't be wrong and as far as I see we won't
                  come to a real solution on this. And maybe some of the possibilities are
                  right. On older Gothic the forms could have been declined and in later times
                  the declination could have been reduced.

                  Another question is: How would you translate the phrase: How are you?
                  According to most languages I choosed: Hvaiwa is þu?
                  Would that be appropriate?

                  To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
                  From: r_scherp@...
                  Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 03:00:02 +0000

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 3, 2012
                    A small discovery about the "hails" construction:

                    remember that it occurs twice, in Mark and in John:

                    hails þiudan Iudaie - Mark 15:18 - Hail, [o] King of the Jews.
                    hails þiudans Iudaie - John 19:3 - Hail [the] King of the Jews.

                    I wondered why John's version did not seem to have "king" as a vocative,
                    and thought it might be due to carelessness. In a sense there was
                    carelessness: my own. If I had bothered to check the Greek in John's version I should
                    have seen that it says

                    hail (chaire - an imperative) the king of the Jews.

                    But whereas John had the king word in the nominative (basileus) Mark had it
                    in the vocative (basileu) and with no definite article. It therefore looks
                    as if Wulfila was faithful to the material he translated, and the two
                    lines given above have been correctly transmitted to us.

                    Incidentally, I wondered about the correctness of the Greek here, since the
                    language the New Testament was written in is said to be often poor -
                    "impoverished and crippled" as a former Bishop of Birmingham put it, though I am
                    not myself advanced enough to notice its deficiencies. I checked Mark's
                    version in Vincent Taylor's Greek Text of Mark, and reproduce below part of
                    what appears there, without pretending that I fully understand it:

                    chaire, basileu corresponds to the Latin greeting Ave Caesar. The
                    vocative, which admits the royal right... is 'a note of the writer's imperfect
                    sensibility to the more delicate shades of Greek idiom', Moulton, i.71.

                    Gerry T.

                    r_scherp@... writes:

                    Hails!

                    Well, the opinions vary. I think we also have to distinguish between
                    adjective and noun. In 'Verit heilir' the word clearly appears as an adjective.
                    In German, however, 'Heil' seems to be used primarily as a noun that calls
                    for the dative: 'Heil dir'. The examples Gerry posted seem to indicate a
                    similar usage, but with an accusative instead of dative. Is that a valid
                    interpretation?

                    Randulfs
                    --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Ruhm <thomas@...> wrote:

                    > In other languages greetings and other frequently used expressions with
                    not much meaning the singular can be generalized.

                  • marja erwin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 3, 2012
                      Thank you!

                      That gets to another point - D.H. Green discusses how Wulfila almost
                      exclusively refers to weihs and avoids hailags, and upper German texts
                      use wih, while Anglo-Saxon and low/middle German texts almost
                      exclusively refer to heilag. He argues that Wulfila chose weihs because
                      hailags was associated with worldly luck and military victory.

                      That leaves me wondering how early Gothic Christians would have felt
                      about the greeting hails/haila/hailata. In these contexts, of course,
                      it's Roman soldiers mocking Jesus. Perhaps some early Gothic Christians
                      might have preferred fagino, and their pagan contemporaries might have
                      used either or both greetings? Just a thought.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 4, 2012
                        About whether some early Gothic Christians would have preferred "fagino"
                        (rejoice) to "hails": now that the matter has been mentioned, it does seem
                        plausible; for it translates the Greek chaire literally, and Wulfila is often
                        very literal in his renditions of the NT Greek. As for the use of "hail"
                        to refer to worldly luck and military success, such a noun use occurs in
                        both German and Old Norse. I give below some further facts excavated from
                        dictionaries:

                        Cleasby and Vigfusson's Icelandic-English Dictionary, which is primarily
                        about the old tongue, includes versions of both the Germanic "holy" words
                        that have been mooted: they appear as "vígja" i.e. vigja with an acute accent
                        on the first vowel, in case it gets corrupted in transmission, which is
                        said to mean "consecrate" both in a Christian and in a non-Christian sense;
                        and "heilagr" (the consonant at the end is inflexive) which means "holy",
                        again in either a Christian or a non-Christian sense. The word is said to be
                        derived from "heill" (whole) and to be consequently not so old as the
                        primitive vé, veihs.

                        "Heilagr" is also said to have been used as a lawterm to mean inviolable,
                        one whose person is sacred, with the comment that this is undoubtedly the
                        word's original sense.

                        The Oxford English Dictionary under "holy" has the interesting remark that
                        the word's sense "is expressed in the Gothic of Ulfilas by weihs (but
                        hailag, apparently 'consecrated', 'dedicated' is read on a runic inscription
                        generally held to be Gothic)".

                        Less helpfully, the OED adds that "we cannot in Old English get behind
                        Christian senses in which "holy" is equated with Latin sanctus, sacer".

                        Gerry T.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 29 8:33 PM
                          Can anyone recommend free open-source resources for Gothic in Ubuntu, or
                          in Linux generally?

                          Even typing is difficult, because I have to use an awkward character
                          selection menu for hvair. I would like a Gothic keyboard layout or the
                          equivalent.

                          Can anyone recommend fonts for Gothic, either? I know there are uncial
                          fonts for the Gothic alphabet, but it would be handy to have the Gothic
                          alphabet in modern fonts like Liberation Serif and Liberation Sans.

                          Thanks!
                        • Michael Everson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 30 6:05 AM
                            On 30 Jul 2012, at 04:33, marja erwin wrote:

                            > Can anyone recommend free open-source resources for Gothic in Ubuntu, or in Linux generally?

                            The Irish Extended keyboard on the Mac OS has easy access to hwair: alt-; + h = ƕ, alt-; + H = Ƕ. I think (but do not know) that there is an Irish Extended keyboard on some flavour of Linux. If so, perhaps it copies my design for the Apple Irish Extended keyboard.

                            > Can anyone recommend fonts for Gothic, either? I know there are uncial fonts for the Gothic alphabet, but it would be handy to have the Gothic
                            > alphabet in modern fonts like Liberation Serif and Liberation Sans.

                            Everson Mono http://evertype.com/emono/ has Gothic, though I want to revise its glyphs. I like Sadagolthina http://evertype.com/fonts/gothic/ myself. But I would, wouldn't I?

                          • Abrigon
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 30 6:12 AM
                              i had a font or two for the Gothich Language, but I think you can find it
                              online someplace? Upsala or .. might do a search for Wulfilas or like name
                              and see what comes up?

                              The priest who created the Gothic script from earlier Greek and I see some
                              influences you also see in Coptic, but how so not sure.

                              Mike