Re: [gothic-l] Re:Conan

  • Abrigon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2012
      The Celts stretched from Ireland to modern Turkey.. got pushed west it
      seems by the Germanic and Slavic speakers.

      Celtic is closer to the Latin and Hellenistic languages (Greek for
      instance).. or just spent alot of time together.

      Celts settled also in Spain and mingled with the local Iberians (Basque)
      and Carthagenians (Phoenecians/Carthage). Later like those in Gaul were
      taken over by Rome, then when Rome fell (western Empire) it was taken over
      by Germanics, the Franks in France/Gaul and the Visigoths (western Goths)
      in Spain..

      Mike

      On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:33 AM, greg scaff <g_scaff@...> wrote:

      > Hi Oscar,
      > Conan is a Fantasy movie based on a work of fiction by author Robert E.
      > Howard. Conan is indeed a Celtic name, but the character is a Cimmerian
      > from the Ukraine area, and the story is set in a murky, prehistorical era,
      > centuries before Germanic speakers entered the Black Sea area. I believe
      > Howard patterned his characters after stereotypical Vikings, thus giving
      > them names like Osric.
      > Peace!
      > Gregory
      > http://www.SuccubusArts.com

    • OSCAR HERRE
      Message 2 of 7 , May 17, 2012
        yea im aware the celts had and were the first settlers thruout europe......and in and around the black sea.......they apparently were very peaceful because there is little history on their lives and history during the pre german invasion of europe.....

        The Celts stretched from Ireland to modern Turkey.. got pushed west it
        seems by the Germanic and Slavic speakers.

        Celtic is closer to the Latin and Hellenistic languages (Greek for
        instance).. or just spent alot of time together.

        Celts settled also in Spain and mingled with the local Iberians (Basque)
        and Carthagenians (Phoenecians/Carthage). Later like those in Gaul were
        taken over by Rome, then when Rome fell (western Empire) it was taken over
        by Germanics, the Franks in France/Gaul and the Visigoths (western Goths)
        in Spain..

        Mike

        On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:33 AM, greg scaff <g_scaff@...> wrote:

        > Hi Oscar,
        > Conan is a Fantasy movie based on a work of fiction by author Robert E.
        > Howard. Conan is indeed a Celtic name, but the character is a Cimmerian
        > from the Ukraine area, and the story is set in a murky, prehistorical era,
        > centuries before Germanic speakers entered the Black Sea area. I believe
        > Howard patterned his characters after stereotypical Vikings, thus giving
        > them names like Osric.
        > Peace!
        > Gregory
        > http://www.SuccubusArts.com

      • Decebal-Radu C
        Message 3 of 7 , May 17, 2012
          while kelt means 'gentleman', we expect these ancient people to have a mother tongue. This mother tongue should be the ancestor of most Romanic languages along the mountains' range in south of Europe.
          The issue is important as we feel important to find the mother tongue of our ancestors.

          Technically I find Romanian as relevant for the names on the Sailors Pillar in Paris (Cernunnos the selector and Senani Urseiloni as Norns of the Senans)

          With Romanian (Wallachian if you want) as oldest I find good correlations with other 'celtics':
          1. English Romanian
          knot nod
          switch a suci
          hole huda
          gauge jug
          star stea (ith 'r')
          guess a ghici
          fluff puf
          Something less convincing can be found in Welsh:

          2 Welsh Romanian English
          braich brat arm
          duw zeu god
          marw muri to die
          mymd munte mountain
          paid ! pazea ! keep off!
          pluf puf fluff
          pont pod bridge
          taw ! zau ! believe me!
          mom mama mother

          Of course, Catalan dialect is practically current Romanian. It is clear that other Romance are related to the same root, which I find close to Romanian for sheep-hearding reasons.

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

          > yea im aware the celts had and were the first settlers thruout europe......and in and around the black sea.......they apparently were very peaceful because there is little history on their lives and history during the pre german invasion of europe.....

        • Decebal-Radu C
          Message 4 of 7 , May 17, 2012
            Oium: the best match of Iordanes' 28 is that the mother tongue of these guys as Hungarian (a Finn's kin - one of historical Odin ancestors). Here Oium means Motherland (with today's Anyum spelled as Onium in Hungarian).

            This matches perfecty with my hypothesis on "historical Odin" as Duras of Dacia, as this people matches the Yaziges colonized by Tiberius around he Tissia river. This also fits as the misterious Vanaland people agains Asaland (Dacians).

            Yaziges should also mean in Hungarian "playing"(Hun. Yatzig), see the way of fighting of the Marcomani, jumping along with horses.

            This explains the ethnic intergrowth of Romanians/Hungarians in Transylvania as dating from the Duras' time , as explained in the Yinglinga.

          • halsteis@pvv.ntnu.no
            Message 5 of 7 , May 18, 2012
              Hi.
              An ok overview over Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age can be found on
              Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyborian_Age

              Howard used a lot of historical names as inspiration for his stories. The
              movie is only loosely based on Howard's own writings.

              Halstein.