Re: Gothic names, reconstructions, and derivations?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2012
      I'm not an academic and my Gothic is rusty, so with that in mind, I'll try to answer your question as best as I can until someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

      The name 'Friþareikeikeis' (in the genitive) is attested in the calendar fragment we have. The scribe seems to have written '-keis' twice by mistake. There are some issues with Gothic stem vowels in the later period, and it seems like they merging or becoming schwas. I don't remember the details, but the attested names in the Latin sources become very inconsistent with them. So Friþa- is generally understood to be Friþu- with a confused stem vowel. The scribe probably couldn't hear the With Fritigern, there is an 'i' where we would expect a 'u' and I imagine it's the same issue at play. '-gairns' is fairly straightforward.

      Alaþius seems pretty transparent to me. Ala + þius. I'm not sure what to make of '-vivus', but I've seen some (very hypothetical) attempts to reconstruct it as a naming element.

      Audaþius is straightforward.

      For Airiwulfs, I'm not sure how to take the 'Airi-' element. It shows up in other names though, so it seems common enough. Eriulf, Erileoba, Eraric, Erwig... If you're not picky about your stem vowels, either 'Airi-' or 'Aira-' would make sense.

      For Airimerios, I would reconstruct it as Airimers or Airamers. Of the top of my head, I don't know if 'mer-' should be an i-stem or not.