Re: [gothic-l] Re: Gothic Grammar Question

  • Grsartor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
      Hailai,

      the proposed "sinteino hrotheigs" conforms to "semper fidelis" in being
      singular. But the Latin adjective could be either masculine or feminine, and
      might refer to some collective word (I do not know whether that is the
      intention). Likewise with the Gothic: is it the individual that shall be
      triumphant (hrotheigs), a whole load of individuals (hrotheigai), or thiuda, the
      nation (hrotheiga)?

      Gerry T.

      ekinzel@... writes:

      It's an interesting question. The answer would depend, I think, on whether
      such slogans are understood as:

      1.) an admonition/imperative "(be) always victorious (!)"

      2.) a statement "(we are) always victorious"

      I don't know enough about Latin to be able to parse 'semper fidelis' to
      determine into which of these categories it would fit.

      How about "remember Adrianople!!"

      :-)

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <the_lothian@...> wrote:

      > Hails,
      >
      > I am in the process of writing a novella whose protagonist is Alaric. I
      want the Goths to have a Rallying Cry, like the US Marine's "Always
      Faithful"

      > I am wondering if "Sinteino hrotheigs" (Always Victorious) would be
      appropriate and (since I am only writing about Goths, not a student of the
      language) are these two words in their proper grammatical order of if this
      should be modified if Gothic has declensions like Latin. (another language I am
      ignorant of).