Gothic Grammar Question

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2012
      Hails,

      I am in the process of writing a novella whose protagonist is Alaric. I want the Goths to have a Rallying Cry, like the US Marine's "Always Faithful"

      I am wondering if "Sinteino hrotheigs" (Always Victorious) would be appropriate and (since I am only writing about Goths, not a student of the language) are these two words in their proper grammatical order of if this should be modified if Gothic has declensions like Latin. (another language I am ignorant of).

      Thank you.
      Tom
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2012
        The Gothic pronunciation is one thing but I can suggest what the Norman crusaders cried when attacking their foes, namely "Tyr, Tyr!! And then they were supposed to be Christians. Wonder what they cried in the old Varangian guard or among the Gothic foederati? Why not Gaut,Gaut or Óooooðinn!?? Well, I am not too serious of course...

        Ingemar

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <the_lothian@...> wrote:

        > Hails,
        >
        > I am in the process of writing a novella whose protagonist is Alaric. I want the Goths to have a Rallying Cry, like the US Marine's "Always Faithful"
        >
        > I am wondering if "Sinteino hrotheigs" (Always Victorious) would be appropriate and (since I am only writing about Goths, not a student of the language) are these two words in their proper grammatical order of if this should be modified if Gothic has declensions like Latin. (another language I am ignorant of).
        >
        > Thank you.
        > Tom

      • gotenfreund
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2012
          It's an interesting question. The answer would depend, I think, on whether such slogans are understood as:

          1.) an admonition/imperative "(be) always victorious (!)"

          2.) a statement "(we are) always victorious"

          I don't know enough about Latin to be able to parse 'semper fidelis' to determine into which of these categories it would fit.

          How about "remember Adrianople!!"

          :-)

        • Grsartor@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
            Hailai,

            the proposed "sinteino hrotheigs" conforms to "semper fidelis" in being
            singular. But the Latin adjective could be either masculine or feminine, and
            might refer to some collective word (I do not know whether that is the
            intention). Likewise with the Gothic: is it the individual that shall be
            triumphant (hrotheigs), a whole load of individuals (hrotheigai), or thiuda, the
            nation (hrotheiga)?

            Gerry T.