Re: Gothic pronunciation

  • anheropl0x
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hello, gotenfreund.
      As Wright has in his book, grammar of the Gothic Language, medial b and d are pronounced as v and th between vowels and before consonants. J counts as a consonant. This does not apply to prefixes. So to give examples:
      Giban "givan"
      Rodjan "rothjan"
      Anabiudan "ana-bewthan"
      Fraitan "fra-itan" The I in this word is written with the two dots above it, showing that it is the start of a new syllable.