Gothic pronunciation

  • gotenfreund
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
      I have a few questions about the proper pronunication of Gothic:

      1. I know that "b" and "d" between vowels is pronounced as "v" and "th" (voiced), e.g.

      giban, like "givan"
      badi, like "bathi"

      what if one of these letters is followed by "j"? - my understanding is that this glide is a semi-vowel.

      So, is it rodjan or "rothjan"?
      arbeidjan or "arbeithjan"?
      gadaubjan or "gadauvjan"?

      2. related to this, if a word has a prefix, how does this affect pronunication, is the prefix pronounced separately, and the root word as normal, or does the prefix alter the pronunciation of the root word, e.g.

      is gadaban like "ga-davan" or "gathavan"?
      anabiudan like "ana-byuthan" or "anavyuthan"?
      fraitan like "fra-itan" or is the "ai" pronounced as the diphthong?

      thanks in advance, I can't find this is any of my books

      Eric
    • anheropl0x
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
        Hello, gotenfreund.
        As Wright has in his book, grammar of the Gothic Language, medial b and d are pronounced as v and th between vowels and before consonants. J counts as a consonant. This does not apply to prefixes. So to give examples:
        Giban "givan"
        Rodjan "rothjan"
        Anabiudan "ana-bewthan"
        Fraitan "fra-itan" The I in this word is written with the two dots above it, showing that it is the start of a new syllable.