[gothic-l] Re: Boredom

  • David Salo
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 1999
      >> Hvar sind allai?
      >
      >Hails!
      >Ik kenna mik himma daga ni fibursiuks! Himma daga is mikil hiala ins
      >meins hus! (Not sure of the grammar, but I think that feversick has
      >this appearance)
      >
      >I hope that I said,-I feel no feversickness today ! Today is much joy
      >in my house! How to say "talk" in gothic?
      >
      >Weiz wiljam thau haldan gafridon in aiwins

      "Fever" is a word of Latin origin, (febris), which in Gothic might
      appear as faibrs or fibrs; but Gothic already has two words for fever, so
      heito (cf. "heat") and so brinno ("the burning"). To have a fever is
      "ligan in brinnon" (lie in fever) or "anahaban brinnon" (take hold of with
      (dative) fever) -- the last in passive, e.g. thu anahabaza brinnon, you
      have a fever, thu was anahabaiths brinnon, you had a fever.
      You might say Himma daga ik ni anahabada brinnon (or maybe ik ni
      thula brinnon "I do not suffer with fever); faheths mikila in garda
      (aiththau _razna_) meinamma ist.

      Talk: qithan; mathljan; rodjan; waurdjan (the last often in a
      negative sense, e.g. babble).

      /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
      \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
      <dsalo@...> <>