Re: Family relations in the gothic language

  • kevin.behrens@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2012
      I really thank you for the tipps and sources.
      I now made a little list with possible names.

      Mutter – aiþei, modar
      Vater – atta, fadar
      Bruder / brother – broþar
      Schwester / sister– swistar
      Sohn / son – sunus
      Tochter / daughter – dauhtar
      Großmutter / grandmother - awo(fadarmodar, modarmodar)
      Großvater / grandfather - awa(fadarfadar, modarfadar)
      Großeltern / grandparents - fadrein
      Cousin – gadiliggs
      Cousine – gadiliggo
      Neffe / nephew – niþjis (actually kinsman, but Peter Heather sees it as nephew, which would be etymological logical)
      Nichte / niece– niþjo
      Onkel / uncle – modarbroþar, fadarbroþar / baro (vgl. barus (Rothari's edict)
      Tante / aunt – modarswistar, fadarswistrar / bara
      Ur- - us-
      Schwiegervater / father-in-law – swaihra
      Schwiegermutter / mother-in-law– swaihro
      Schwiegersohn / son-in-law – megs
      Schwiegertochter / daughter-in-law – bruþs, snuzo
      groß- / grand- - *mikil- / *alda-
      Enkel / grandchild – *barnisbarn / *leitilbarn / forms as above

      I didn't know how to say uncle or aunt. When we look at the scandinavian languages such formulations are quite frequent. But there is no such formulation attested for gothic. And uncle and aunt are derrived from the latin language.
      The dictionary of Köbler has forms for son- and daughter-in-law.
      us- as a form for ur- seems also to be attested.
      Even for groß- / grand- I wasn't sure. There are mostly forms with words that have the same etymologie as great- or grand-. But there is no such word in gothic. So, mikil- or also alda- could be possible, but don't fit that well in my subjective opinion. What do you think?