[gothic-l] Re: Boredom

  • got@yesbox.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 1999
      > Hvar sind allai?

      Hails!
      Ik kenna mik himma daga ni fibursiuks! Himma daga is mikil hiala ins
      meins hus! (Not sure of the grammar, but I think that feversick has
      this appearance)

      I hope that I said,-I feel no feversickness today ! Today is much joy
      in my house! How to say "talk" in gothic?

      Weiz wiljam thau haldan gafridon in aiwins
    • David Salo
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 1999
        >> Hvar sind allai?
        >
        >Hails!
        >Ik kenna mik himma daga ni fibursiuks! Himma daga is mikil hiala ins
        >meins hus! (Not sure of the grammar, but I think that feversick has
        >this appearance)
        >
        >I hope that I said,-I feel no feversickness today ! Today is much joy
        >in my house! How to say "talk" in gothic?
        >
        >Weiz wiljam thau haldan gafridon in aiwins

        "Fever" is a word of Latin origin, (febris), which in Gothic might
        appear as faibrs or fibrs; but Gothic already has two words for fever, so
        heito (cf. "heat") and so brinno ("the burning"). To have a fever is
        "ligan in brinnon" (lie in fever) or "anahaban brinnon" (take hold of with
        (dative) fever) -- the last in passive, e.g. thu anahabaza brinnon, you
        have a fever, thu was anahabaiths brinnon, you had a fever.
        You might say Himma daga ik ni anahabada brinnon (or maybe ik ni
        thula brinnon "I do not suffer with fever); faheths mikila in garda
        (aiththau _razna_) meinamma ist.

        Talk: qithan; mathljan; rodjan; waurdjan (the last often in a
        negative sense, e.g. babble).

        /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
        \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
        <dsalo@...> <>