Re: [gothic-l] Re: Yulegreetings

  • Thomas Chelmowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2011
      Hello Gerry,
        Thanks for the reply.
      Tom

      ________________________________
      From: "Grsartor@..." <Grsartor@...>
      To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, December 26, 2011 3:07 AM
      Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Re: Yulegreetings

      About how to say "wassail":

      Wassail is from Old English wes þu hal (be thou hale). It is tempting to
      suggest "wis þu hails" as its Gothic equivalent, but I cannot find examples
      of "wis" used as an imperative. Wright says that the subjunctive was used
      for the imperative "be", so that we should have "sijais þu hail". On the
      other hand, you might like to take a liberty and suggest that "wis" may have
      existed as an archaism or as an alternative form that Wulfila eschewed for
      some reason. In any case "wis" would surely have been the expected imperative
      of "wisan" = make merry.

      Gerry T.

      the_lothian@... writes:

      Ave Civitas,

      I was wondering what would be the Gothic equivalent of Wassail?

      Tom