Yulegreetings

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2011
      To all listmembers

      A Merry Yule and a Happy New Year
      Fröliche Weihnachten und Ein Gutes Neues Jahr
      Joueux Nöel et une bonne anné nouvelle
      Felicitas Navidad e un buon año nuevo
      God Jul och Gott Nytt År

      Ingemar

      (Sorry for possible linguistic faults)
    • Thomas Chelmowski
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2011
        Ave Civitas,

        I was wondering what would be the Gothic equivalent of Wassail?

        Tom

      • Grsartor@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 26, 2011
          About how to say "wassail":

          Wassail is from Old English wes þu hal (be thou hale). It is tempting to
          suggest "wis þu hails" as its Gothic equivalent, but I cannot find examples
          of "wis" used as an imperative. Wright says that the subjunctive was used
          for the imperative "be", so that we should have "sijais þu hail". On the
          other hand, you might like to take a liberty and suggest that "wis" may have
          existed as an archaism or as an alternative form that Wulfila eschewed for
          some reason. In any case "wis" would surely have been the expected imperative
          of "wisan" = make merry.

          Gerry T.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 26, 2011
            Hello Gerry,