Re: [gothic-l] Is englisch 'wh' usually 'ƕ' in gothic words?

  • Brian Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
      Many modern English "wh" words began as "hw" words. I do not know if this has any bearing on Gothic tongues.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
        based on analogy with similar words; what/hwa, wheat/hwaiteis, where/hwar, white/hweits, I think you are right and it would be something like "hwals".

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thomasruhm" <thomas@...> wrote:

        > I was wondering how the right form of 'whale' would be in Gothic. First I thought 'wals' would be alright, but when I thought of the english word I wondered if 'ƕals' would be the better choice.

      • thomasruhm
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
          Then I take 'ƕals'. Thank both of you. I will start to ask things here more often.
        • Michael Everson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
            OED: Old English hwæl, corresponding to Old High German, Middle High German wal(German walfisch whalefish n., q.v.), Old Norse hvalr (Swedish, Danish hval), related to Old High German wâlira, welira, Middle High German wâlre, and Middle High German, Germanwels (< *χwalis) sheath-fish; compare Prussian kalis sheath-fish.