Gothic Orthography

  • thomasruhm
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2011
      Hello,

      I am reading "Deutsche Mythologie" written by Jacob Grimm and saw that the orthography in quoted passages was different from the one used in Wilhelm Streitberg's Gothic Bible. Also the "Handbuch deutscher Prosa", which can be read online, got the same orthography.

      The 'þ' is written as 'th', 'q' as 'qu', 'w' as 'v', that letter, which can probably not typed here was written as 'hv'.

      Is that spelling used more often?

      Yours
      Thomas
    • thomasruhm
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2011
        I forgot something. The letters 'ô' and 'ê' are written like this and the name 'Jêsus' like that. Does the original Wulfila Bible have the gothic 'i' there?
      • Michael Everson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2011
          On 18 Sep 2011, at 14:58, thomasruhm wrote:

          > The 'þ' is written as 'th', 'q' as 'qu', 'w' as 'v', that letter, which can probably not typed here was written as 'hv'.

          No: Today, þ and q and ƕ are most often used. Few people use the actual Gothic script much, which is unfortunate.

        • thomasruhm
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2011
            I just looked at the Cornish books at the link. I love language revivals.