neologism

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2011
      Greetings all,
      I know this is a non sequitur to recent discussions- I'm wondering;
      if "judaiwisks" means "Jewish", what might the Goths have used as a word for "Judaism"? There would probably be a difference in suffix- but what suffix?
      Thank you,
      Gregory
    • Frithureiks
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2011
        *Iudaiadoms??

        Is there perhaps any attested word for any religion at all, such as christianity or smth else?

      • Grsartor@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2011
          About Gothic words for "religion":

          A word translated "religion" occurs a handful of times in the New Revised Standard Version of the NT. I think the only example that survives in the extant Gothic is in 1Ti 3:16, where "gagudei" expresses Greek "eusebeia", which elsewhere is usually rendered as "piety". So it might be fair to express "Judaism" by something like "gagudei Iudaiwiska".

          Another word to consider is Greek "pistis", which is usually translated "faith" and appears in Gothic as "galaubeins".

          Gerry T.