Athni

  • heatheninfo
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26 3:22 PM
      Good afternoon,

      I was wondering if the group could help me with the Gothic word "athni". From what I have gathered, this word means "year" but I am wondering if it had the same meaning as ON ár, which means both "year" and "harvest", as does OE "gear", from the PGmc. *jera. While I know that "athni" is not etymologically related to *jera, I am wondering if the word carries a meaning of "harvest"?

      Thanks for your time

      Brian
    • gotenfreund
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26 5:16 PM
        Brian,

        My dictionary (Holthausen, 1934) has Gothic athn(s) (D.pl. athnam) as related to Latin annus <*at-nos, and meaning only "year."

        It also lists asans, "Summer, Harvest", which is claimed to be derived from *aznu, *aznon, the same source as Old High German ar(a)n, arnot, "Harvest." Related forms are Russ. osen, Old Prussian assanis, both meaning "Autumn."

        Gothic jer also means "Year", and is the form related to ON and OE words you cite, as well as Greek hora, "Season", and Polish jar, "Spring."

        That's all I have to illuminate the situation.

        Eric