Re: [gothic-l] New ways of discussion.

  • Grsartor@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 17, 2011
      I am happy with how we currently work. The group may in a sense be more
      active than it seems, since no doubt messages will often be read with interest
      by many members that do not feel they have anything to add.

      gadrauhts@... writes:

      This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
      it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
      We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
      messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it was
      when I became a member, as I recall.

      How could be make all 630 members active?
      Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?

      I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
      different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
      culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
      etc.

      What do you all 630 people think about it??

    • Frithureiks
      Message 2 of 13 , May 17, 2011
        It seems to be like the majority likes the way it is.
        I can see why from your argumentations. I surrender :)

        But, I think a advantage with a forum is that it is possible to have a lot of different discussions going on simultaneously. Now we have one or two and the older disappears (even though they might be found easily).

        About discussions over history and archeology, there is no obstacles to discuss these themes. You who want to do this, start one!

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Grsartor@... wrote:

        > I am happy with how we currently work. The group may in a sense be more
        > active than it seems, since no doubt messages will often be read with interest
        > by many members that do not feel they have anything to add.

        > gadrauhts@... writes:
        >
        > This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
        > it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
        > We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
        > messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it was
        > when I became a member, as I recall.
        >
        > How could be make all 630 members active?
        > Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?
        >
        > I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
        > different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
        > culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
        > etc.
        >
        > What do you all 630 people think about it??

      • anheropl0x
        Message 3 of 13 , May 17, 2011
          Ha, I just started learning Old High German as well. Hildebrandslied made me fall in love with it and Old Saxon/Old Low German.

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thomasruhm" <thomas@...> wrote:

          > I read many of the incoming posts, but I don't speak much Gothic myself. Today I was learning Old High German for some hours. Maybe I will record some texts, because I like my pronunciation.
          >
          > I would wish for a gothic language revival.
          >
          > /Thomas

        • thomasruhm
          Message 4 of 13 , May 18, 2011
            I recommend you to read "The little Prince" in Old High German. I learnt much more with that, than with the old texts and it has a more regular orthography.

            Yours Thomas

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "anheropl0x" <anheropl0x@...> wrote:

            > Ha, I just started learning Old High German as well. Hildebrandslied made me fall in love with it and Old Saxon/Old Low German.
            >
            > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thomasruhm" <thomas@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I read many of the incoming posts, but I don't speak much Gothic myself. Today I was learning Old High German for some hours. Maybe I will record some texts, because I like my pronunciation.
            > >
            > > I would wish for a gothic language revival.
            > >
            > > /Thomas

          • Robert Cloutier
            Message 5 of 13 , May 18, 2011
              Where can you get "The Little Prince" in Old High German?

              Robert

              On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM, thomasruhm <thomas@...> wrote:

              > I recommend you to read "The little Prince" in Old High German. I learnt
              > much more with that, than with the old texts and it has a more regular
              > orthography.
              >
              > Yours Thomas
              >

              > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "anheropl0x" <anheropl0x@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Ha, I just started learning Old High German as well. Hildebrandslied made
              > me fall in love with it and Old Saxon/Old Low German.
              > >
              > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thomasruhm" <thomas@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I read many of the incoming posts, but I don't speak much Gothic
              > myself. Today I was learning Old High German for some hours. Maybe I will
              > record some texts, because I like my pronunciation.
              > > >
              > > > I would wish for a gothic language revival.
              > > >
              > > > /Thomas

            • thomasruhm
              Message 6 of 13 , May 19, 2011
                You can order it at a book shop. They usually get books quickly. Amazon also has it. The title is "Dher luzzilfuristo".

                Thomas

                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Robert Cloutier <lingvojn@...> wrote:

                > Where can you get "The Little Prince" in Old High German?
                >
                > Robert
              • thomasruhm
                Message 7 of 13 , May 20, 2011
                  Which dictionary for Old High German would you recommend? Is Old High German much used to create gothic neologisms? I like the word 'duruhtân' which was a loan translation for 'perfect'.

                  Yours
                  Thomas