Re: [gothic-l] New ways of discussion.

  • Johan Jönsson
    Message 1 of 13 , May 16 9:37 AM
      2011/5/16 Frithureiks <gadrauhts@...>

      > This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
      > it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
      > We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
      > messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it
      > was when I became a member, as I recall.
      >
      > How could be make all 630 members active?
      > Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?
      >
      > I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
      > different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
      > culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
      > etc.
      >
      > What do you all 630 people think about it??

      My experience tells me that trying to get an already somewhat inactive group
      to communicate through a forum/message board is an effective way to most of,
      if not all, the activity that remains.

      The thing about a forum is that you have to go there to see if anything new
      has happened (yes, there are solutions with RSS feeds and so on, but most
      people don't use them). If there's activity, if you can count on new posts
      having been made since yesterday, then you might go there daily. If not,
      you'll stop checking it out every day, which in itself means that it'll
      become less active. Less activity means fewer visits. Eventually, most
      members will probably forget about it.

      A mailing list, on the other hand, can survive being inactive, since you'll
      get the mail when they're posted, even if nothing has happened for a week.

      //Johan Jönsson
      --
      http://johanjonsson.net/wikipedia

    • thomasruhm
      Message 2 of 13 , May 16 10:04 AM
        I read many of the incoming posts, but I don't speak much Gothic myself. Today I was learning Old High German for some hours. Maybe I will record some texts, because I like my pronunciation.

        I would wish for a gothic language revival.

        /Thomas
      • Ingemar Nordgren
        Message 3 of 13 , May 16 1:40 PM
          I am sceptical to a forum solution. It is almost impossible to find the threads you like. When I am at Arkeologiforum I feel always like I find no ways at all to what I look for. Keep this simple list! I would however want to have more discussions about Gothic history, archaeology, religion et c. and not only linguistics. Why should I have to go to Germanic list in order to discuss the Goths when there is a Gothic list. This is also the reason I joined the list originally! Linguistics is interesting of course but only in combination with all other aspects of the Goths. I intend BTW to attend a Gothic symposion on Wulfila in Uppsala in june. It is an anniversary of the birth of Wulfila in 311 AD. A lot of great researchers will lecture including my old adviser Herwig Wolfram. I do indeed look forward to this. If somebody is interested contact Lars Munkhammmar or Anders Kaliff at Carolina Rediviva.

          Ingemar

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Johan Jönsson <brevlistor@...> wrote:

          > 2011/5/16 Frithureiks <gadrauhts@...>
          >

          > > This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
          > > it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
          > > We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
          > > messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it
          > > was when I became a member, as I recall.
          > >
          > > How could be make all 630 members active?
          > > Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?
          > >
          > > I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
          > > different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
          > > culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
          > > etc.
          > >
          > > What do you all 630 people think about it??
          > >

          > My experience tells me that trying to get an already somewhat inactive group
          > to communicate through a forum/message board is an effective way to most of,
          > if not all, the activity that remains.
          >
          > The thing about a forum is that you have to go there to see if anything new
          > has happened (yes, there are solutions with RSS feeds and so on, but most
          > people don't use them). If there's activity, if you can count on new posts
          > having been made since yesterday, then you might go there daily. If not,
          > you'll stop checking it out every day, which in itself means that it'll
          > become less active. Less activity means fewer visits. Eventually, most
          > members will probably forget about it.
          >
          > A mailing list, on the other hand, can survive being inactive, since you'll
          > get the mail when they're posted, even if nothing has happened for a week.
          >
          > //Johan Jönsson
          > --
          > http://johanjonsson.net/wikipedia

        • Marja Erwin
          Message 4 of 13 , May 16 4:11 PM
            Word. I came to this list primarily for history and archaeology.

            A web forum is best if we have many discussions, on many different topics. An email list is better until this list heats up and branches out. I think a web site for Gutisk resources, including history and archaeology, would be very useful though. I don't hear much about archaeology on this list.

            On May 16, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:

            > I am sceptical to a forum solution. It is almost impossible to find the threads you like. When I am at Arkeologiforum I feel always like I find no ways at all to what I look for. Keep this simple list! I would however want to have more discussions about Gothic history, archaeology, religion et c. and not only linguistics. Why should I have to go to Germanic list in order to discuss the Goths when there is a Gothic list. This is also the reason I joined the list originally! Linguistics is interesting of course but only in combination with all other aspects of the Goths. I intend BTW to attend a Gothic symposion on Wulfila in Uppsala in june. It is an anniversary of the birth of Wulfila in 311 AD. A lot of great researchers will lecture including my old adviser Herwig Wolfram. I do indeed look forward to this. If somebody is interested contact Lars Munkhammmar or Anders Kaliff at Carolina Rediviva.
            >
            > Ingemar
            >
            > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Johan Jönsson <brevlistor@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > 2011/5/16 Frithureiks <gadrauhts@...>
            > >

            > > > This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
            > > > it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
            > > > We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
            > > > messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it
            > > > was when I became a member, as I recall.
            > > >
            > > > How could be make all 630 members active?
            > > > Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?
            > > >
            > > > I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
            > > > different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
            > > > culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
            > > > etc.
            > > >
            > > > What do you all 630 people think about it??
            > > >

            > > My experience tells me that trying to get an already somewhat inactive group
            > > to communicate through a forum/message board is an effective way to most of,
            > > if not all, the activity that remains.
            > >
            > > The thing about a forum is that you have to go there to see if anything new
            > > has happened (yes, there are solutions with RSS feeds and so on, but most
            > > people don't use them). If there's activity, if you can count on new posts
            > > having been made since yesterday, then you might go there daily. If not,
            > > you'll stop checking it out every day, which in itself means that it'll
            > > become less active. Less activity means fewer visits. Eventually, most
            > > members will probably forget about it.
            > >
            > > A mailing list, on the other hand, can survive being inactive, since you'll
            > > get the mail when they're posted, even if nothing has happened for a week.
            > >
            > > //Johan Jönsson
            > > --
            > > http://johanjonsson.net/wikipedia

            Marja Erwin
            marja-e@...
          • Grsartor@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 17 12:14 AM
              I am happy with how we currently work. The group may in a sense be more
              active than it seems, since no doubt messages will often be read with interest
              by many members that do not feel they have anything to add.

              gadrauhts@... writes:

              This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
              it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
              We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
              messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it was
              when I became a member, as I recall.

              How could be make all 630 members active?
              Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?

              I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
              different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
              culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
              etc.

              What do you all 630 people think about it??

            • Frithureiks
              Message 6 of 13 , May 17 1:37 AM
                It seems to be like the majority likes the way it is.
                I can see why from your argumentations. I surrender :)

                But, I think a advantage with a forum is that it is possible to have a lot of different discussions going on simultaneously. Now we have one or two and the older disappears (even though they might be found easily).

                About discussions over history and archeology, there is no obstacles to discuss these themes. You who want to do this, start one!

                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Grsartor@... wrote:

                > I am happy with how we currently work. The group may in a sense be more
                > active than it seems, since no doubt messages will often be read with interest
                > by many members that do not feel they have anything to add.

                > gadrauhts@... writes:
                >
                > This might be controversial but I want to ask the members of this list if
                > it could be a good idea to think about a new way of discussions.
                > We are now 630 members of this list and it has been sent over 10500
                > messenges. But lately these last years it is not very active anymore as it was
                > when I became a member, as I recall.
                >
                > How could be make all 630 members active?
                > Could it be better with another form of forum, such as modern forums?
                >
                > I would probably prefer such a forum, since it makes it possible to make
                > different sections of themes. There could be one for gothic history, one for
                > culture, one for translation help, one for neogothic and neologisms etc,
                > etc.
                >
                > What do you all 630 people think about it??

              • anheropl0x
                Message 7 of 13 , May 17 6:44 PM
                  Ha, I just started learning Old High German as well. Hildebrandslied made me fall in love with it and Old Saxon/Old Low German.

                  --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thomasruhm" <thomas@...> wrote:

                  > I read many of the incoming posts, but I don't speak much Gothic myself. Today I was learning Old High German for some hours. Maybe I will record some texts, because I like my pronunciation.
                  >
                  > I would wish for a gothic language revival.
                  >
                  > /Thomas

                • thomasruhm
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 18 10:37 AM
                    I recommend you to read "The little Prince" in Old High German. I learnt much more with that, than with the old texts and it has a more regular orthography.

                    Yours Thomas

                    --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "anheropl0x" <anheropl0x@...> wrote:

                    > Ha, I just started learning Old High German as well. Hildebrandslied made me fall in love with it and Old Saxon/Old Low German.
                    >
                    > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thomasruhm" <thomas@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I read many of the incoming posts, but I don't speak much Gothic myself. Today I was learning Old High German for some hours. Maybe I will record some texts, because I like my pronunciation.
                    > >
                    > > I would wish for a gothic language revival.
                    > >
                    > > /Thomas

                  • Robert Cloutier
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 18 11:48 PM
                      Where can you get "The Little Prince" in Old High German?

                      Robert

                      On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM, thomasruhm <thomas@...> wrote:

                      > I recommend you to read "The little Prince" in Old High German. I learnt
                      > much more with that, than with the old texts and it has a more regular
                      > orthography.
                      >
                      > Yours Thomas
                      >

                      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "anheropl0x" <anheropl0x@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ha, I just started learning Old High German as well. Hildebrandslied made
                      > me fall in love with it and Old Saxon/Old Low German.
                      > >
                      > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "thomasruhm" <thomas@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I read many of the incoming posts, but I don't speak much Gothic
                      > myself. Today I was learning Old High German for some hours. Maybe I will
                      > record some texts, because I like my pronunciation.
                      > > >
                      > > > I would wish for a gothic language revival.
                      > > >
                      > > > /Thomas

                    • thomasruhm
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 19 5:03 AM
                        You can order it at a book shop. They usually get books quickly. Amazon also has it. The title is "Dher luzzilfuristo".

                        Thomas

                        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Robert Cloutier <lingvojn@...> wrote:

                        > Where can you get "The Little Prince" in Old High German?
                        >
                        > Robert
                      • thomasruhm
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 20 11:36 AM
                          Which dictionary for Old High German would you recommend? Is Old High German much used to create gothic neologisms? I like the word 'duruhtân' which was a loan translation for 'perfect'.

                          Yours
                          Thomas