Re: Goda Austaradulþ allaim!

  • Frithureiks
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23 5:24 AM
      Is it really celtic origin? I assumed all continental germanic people had this Goddess since it seems both germans and the english knew about her.

      Nairþus för Njorðr/Njord and Friddja for Frigga and Fraujo for Freya would be suited names I suppose.

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@...> wrote:

      > Why would they have this special goddess who seems rather to have a Celtic background regarding the sound of the name. Why not Njärðr/Nerthus or Freja? Hence maybe Niarðardulþ or Frijadulþ.
      >
      > Just a suggestion!
      >
      > Ingemar
      >
      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Frithureiks" <gadrauhts@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello and Happy Easter to everyone.
      > >
      > > What I know there are two words suited for 'Easter' in gothic: dulþs and paska. The first meaning party/festival and the latter meaning Easter in the judeo-christian sence.
      > >
      > > But what in the heathen sence? The english call it Easter to celebrate the old Godess of Spring, Éastre and the germans call it Ostern to celebrate the same Godess, which they called Ostara.
      > > If the goths worshiped her to, they would perhaps have called her Austara and hence this Easter would be Austaradulþs 'Festival of Éastre".
      > >
      > > Otherwise maybe wezradulþs = Spring festival, to celebrate the spring.

    • Brian Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23 6:02 AM
        the -us in your proposed Nairþus, is a Latin convention.

        Brian

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23 7:39 AM
          Based on the name Njorðr I assume the original form was a u-stem and hence the gothic name would keep the ending -us.
          The related name Njärd would perhaps be different though.

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Brian Smith <heatheninfo@...> wrote:

          > the -us in your proposed Nairþus, is a Latin convention.
          >
          > Brian

        • thomasruhm
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23 1:31 PM
            Thank you, Brian, because of Ôstarâ. I like Old High German.