Hi there

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2011
      Hi all,

      My name is Jeff and I'm a new guy here.

      I am a member of a Byzantine studies group where I portray an Ostrogoth (Baduila). I'm interested in learning more about the language and culture of the Ostrogoths.

      Jeff / Baduila
    • Frithureiks
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2011
        Welcome Jeff to gothic-l.

        I hope we can be one any help for you to learn more about gothic.

        What I would like to tell you right now is that the gothic language we know is based on the bible (mostly) which first was written by Wulfila who spoke visigothic. The bible was later rewritten in Ravenna, Italy where they at the time spoke ostrogothic. So for what I know the language could be visi- or ostrogothic but I would assume visi-.

        The crimean gothic was a branch of the ostrogothic language and it has some differenses from the biblical which must have been there also in ancient times. These differences are both in the vocabualy and phonology.

        /F