Re: Large numbers in gothic

  • halsteis@pvv.ntnu.no
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
      Probably should not answer my self, but it don't seem my mail handeled
      greek well.

      (alpha)' meant 1, and ,(alpha)' meant 1000 etc.

      1990 would in Greek be ,(alpha)(sampi)(mu)'. 2001 would be ,(beta)(alpha)'

      Hower, it is what the Goths did I wonder about. Not that it was regulary
      use for more than the low thousands.

      Halstein.
      > There are 2 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1a. Large numbers in gothic
      > From: halsteis@...
      > 1b. Re: Large numbers in gothic
      > From: anheropl0x
      >

      > Messages
      > 1a. Large numbers in gothic
      > Posted by: "halsteis@..." halsteis@... halsteis
      > Date: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:30 am ((PDT))
      >
      > Hi.
      > Does anyone know how large numbers were represented in Gothic? With the
      > alphabet, you get up to 999. The greek added a sign before the number to
      > show thousands (α' menat 1, ,α' was 1000).
      >
      > Halstein.
      >

      > Messages in this topic (2)
      > 1b. Re: Large numbers in gothic
      > Posted by: "anheropl0x" anheropl0x@... anheropl0x
      > Date: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:08 am ((PDT))
      >
      > It probably isn't right, but I had always done math with the
      > letters/numbers, example: 1990 = ^^Rµ, or 900+900+100+90.
      >
      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, halsteis@... wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi.
      >> Does anyone know how large numbers were represented in Gothic? With the
      >> alphabet, you get up to 999. The greek added a sign before the number to
      >> show thousands (α' menat 1, ,α' was 1000).
      >>
      >> Halstein.

    • 7d698024b6efe5cc10ab43150fa095c7
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2016
        See Slavic large numbers: Изображение:Cyrillic thousands.png — Hrods

        (Slavic large numbers and Gothic large numbers - from Greek number's system).