There is/Is there...?

  • anheropl0x
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2011
      Is this phrase attested in Gothic?

      Perfect example: "Is there a phrase denoting the existence of something?" The German equivalent is "Es gibt/Gibt es...?" Which makes me wonder if it is some strange difference of wording in Gothic as well.

      Any thoughts?
    • Frithureiks
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2011
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "anheropl0x" <anheropl0x@...> wrote:

        > Is this phrase attested in Gothic?
        >
        > Perfect example: "Is there a phrase denoting the existence of something?" The German equivalent is "Es gibt/Gibt es...?" Which makes me wonder if it is some strange difference of wording in Gothic as well.
        >
        > Any thoughts?

        I am not quite sure about this. I usually just use a form of wisan which ofcourse mean to be and can also mean to exist.

        Ni ist Guþ in himina. = There is no God in heaven.
      • OSCAR HERRE
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2011
          ist mite be used....

        • Grsartor@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23, 2011
            Hailai allai,

            If I might interrupt the exchanges that concern Easter, and which I have followed with interest, to answer a recent enquiry about how to say "there is/are": here are examples from the Gothic gospels.

            John 6:9, 7:18, 8:44, 8:50

            Luke 9:27, 15:10, 18:29, 20:27

            Mark 4:22, 7:4, 7:15, 9:1, 10:29, 12:18, 12:31, 12:32

            In all these except Luke 15:10 a form of "wisan" is used with nothing to correspond to the English use of "there". The wording corresponds closely to that of the Greek. In Luke 15:10 "wairthith" represents the Greek "gignetai".

            Gerry T.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 23, 2011
              Wisan is cognate to Old English "wes" which means "be, is, are" as in the phrase "wes thu hael" or "be thou whole/hale". Its Old Norse cognate is "ves".

              Sent via Cricket Mobile Email