Re: Another random word.

  • anheropl0x
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
      You mean "awiliudon?" That means "to thank." I'm looking for "welcome." Like "Welcome to my home." German Willkommen. Old Norse velkominn.

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

      > or awuilidon.....yea u can put together words that make sense if u speak english......
    • ○
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2011
        You should probably not use it in infinitive if you mean to say "Welcome!" to some one.
        I'd say wailaqumans.

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "anheropl0x" <anheropl0x@...> wrote:

        > What do you linguists think? Should "welcome" in Gothic be something like wailaqiman or wiljaquiman? Going from this etymology of the word "welcome:" Origin:
        > bef. 900; ME < Scand; cf. ON velkominn, equiv. to vel well + kominn come (ptp.); r. OE wilcuma one who is welcome, equiv. to wil- welcome ( see will ) + cuma comer
        >
        > Or would wiljaqiman perhaps be wiliqiman?

      • anheropl0x
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2011
          Such as "Wailaqumans is þu!"? Or perhaps wailaqumana?

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, ○ <gadrauhts@...> wrote:

          > You should probably not use it in infinitive if you mean to say "Welcome!" to some one.
          > I'd say wailaqumans.
          >
          > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "anheropl0x" <anheropl0x@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What do you linguists think? Should "welcome" in Gothic be something like wailaqiman or wiljaquiman? Going from this etymology of the word "welcome:" Origin:
          > > bef. 900; ME < Scand; cf. ON velkominn, equiv. to vel well + kominn come (ptp.); r. OE wilcuma one who is welcome, equiv. to wil- welcome ( see will ) + cuma comer
          > >
          > > Or would wiljaqiman perhaps be wiliqiman?

        • Frithureiks
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2011
            Yes, I would use it in that way.

            "Þu is wailaqumans du haima meinamma so nehwisto wika."

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 10, 2011
              "So nehwisto wika" would be next week? How did you come about "nehwisto"? Doesn't that -t- make it a superlative? I'm guessing the exact translation then would be like "nearest week?"

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
                Yes, nehwisto is superlative of nehw and the meaning should be 'nearest' or just even 'next' which ofcourse also originally is superlative of the english cognate.

                According to one source the way to say 'on the next day' is 'iftumin daga' so 'on the next week' should then be 'iftumon wikai'.