Re: sacred animal?

  • Ingemar Nordgren
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
      If you speak of the Arian Goths the symbol for resurrection was the peacock!

      Ingemar

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mremic01@...> wrote:

      > I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the eagle symbolized the Resurrection in the Arian church. I can't find any source to back that up though, so I could easily be wrong. Way back in the archives here I think there's a post by Dirck about eagle brooches being worn mostly by women.
      >

      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Claire Knudsen-Latta <clairemargery@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Eagle broaches might be important here...
      > >
      > > On 19 October 2010 15:55, ingemarn2000 <ingemar@> wrote:
      > >

      > > > I never found that stuff in connection with my studies of Gothic
      > > > pre-Christian religion meaning there is nothing written as far as I know.
      > > > Still they worshipped old Óðinn and Ingun/Freya and hence beleived in
      > > > Valhall where Särimner the boar is slaughtered every evening and is reborn
      > > > every morning. Pigs sacrifice is quite probable and the boar is a holy
      > > > animal of Freya. Her wagon was drawn by cats but adoration - no. There are a
      > > > lot of Germanic mythological animals but to what extent they were adored is
      > > > quite another question. One thing is for sure - they had no dog cult like
      > > > the Langobards.
      > > >
      > > > Best
      > > > Ingemar
      > > >

      > > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com <gothic-l%40yahoogroups.com>, Leonardo

      > > > and
      > > > adopted

    • Ernesto
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 19, 2010
        Reliefs can be seen in the Visigothic Church of Quintanilla de las Viñas in Spain, where there are bas-reliefs of their animals revered in their religious rites.
        Klebat Chassinat Expedition in 1901, provided some friezes very similar to those in Egypt, in a ruined church located between Thebes and Herakleópolis, V or VI.

        link:
        http://odinismo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19354#19354

        Ernesto