Re: Reconstructing some names

  • o_cossue
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2010
      I'm not sure if this is going to be really helpful, but...

      1.- For the Germanic names present in High Middle ages in Galicia (NW
      Spain) - these names, of Eastern Suevi origin, are mostly common to East
      / Danubian Germans – initially it appears that only *harji-
      (*harjiz) is known:

      Argibadus (and modern place name Arxibai) < *Harjibadwaz (?)

      Argifredus (and modern place name Alxofreo) < *Harjifriþuz

      Argifreda < *Harjifriþô

      Argefonsus < * Harjifunsaz

      Argivastro < *Harjigastiz

      Argilo f. < *Harjilôn

      Argileuva f. < *Harjileubô

      Argimirus (and modern place name Arxemil) < *Harjimêraz

      Argemondus (and modern place name Arximonde) < *Harjimunduz

      Argeridus < *Harjirêdaz

      (initial h- in Germanic names didn't left any trace in toponymy,
      eiþer) etc... But, don't ask me why, there is no **Argiulfus, bur a
      very common Ariulfus / Ariulfus which have originated the place names
      and Surnames: Arulfe, Arufe (from latinized genitive Arulfi). There were
      also an Ariamiro (Suevi, king, died c. 570), and the names Arias 'Lord'
      and its superlative Ariastre ( < *Arjaz + -ist-, cf. V. Orel, A HANDBOOK
      OF GERMANIC ETYMOLOGY. Brill. 2003 s.v. *arjaz).

      2.- Gunþj is probably OK, or maybe gunþjô (at least judging
      from this side of the bay of Biscay):

      Siseguntia (c 580, a Suevi queen), Alaguntia, Astragundia, Ebragundia,
      Ermegundia, Fradegundia, Leodegundia, Menegundia, Teodegundia... but
      also Aragunti, Bergundi.

      3.- Vladimir Orel gives *drûdaz m 'friend, beloved'. The feminine
      *drûdjô is also common in Galician Germanic composite names:
      Alatrudia, Aniedrudia, Dagadrudia, Entrudi, Ermedrudia, Guntedrudia,
      Penedruia, Qualatrudia, Recedrudi, Senatrudia.

      Cheers,

      Cossue.

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mremic01@...> wrote:

      > I've been working reconstructing some names, mostly names I've been
      coming across in Old English, and I've been having some trouble. I was
      hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

      > I'm trying to work out which form of 'harjis' would as a naming
      element. I think Henry Bradley's had "Harja-", but his some of his forms
      are problematic here and there. According to Wright's explanation for
      compounding nouns ($389) the -a- remains in short -ja stems but
      disappears in the long. So we get niujasatiþs and aglaitiwaurdei. So
      I would expect to see Harja- as harjis is has short stem syllable, but
      I'm aware of an attested Hariwulfs mentioned in Lehmenn's Etymological
      Dictionary which I don't have on me right now. Does anyone know whether
      it would be 'Harja-' or 'Hari-'?

      > On a similar note, I've reconstructed OE Mildgyþ as Mildigunþi.
      Does that seem correct?

      > There was also an OE Mildþryþ, and I'm not sure how to handle
      '-þryþ'. From the information Bosworth-Toller gives, it looks like
      an i-stem. Should it be '-þruþs' in Gothic? I can't find the
      proto-germanic form, but would it maybe be '-þrunþs'?