Reconstructing some names

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2010
      I've been working reconstructing some names, mostly names I've been coming across in Old English, and I've been having some trouble. I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

      I'm trying to work out which form of 'harjis' would as a naming element. I think Henry Bradley's had "Harja-", but his some of his forms are problematic here and there. According to Wright's explanation for compounding nouns ($389) the -a- remains in short -ja stems but disappears in the long. So we get niujasatiþs and aglaitiwaurdei. So I would expect to see Harja- as harjis is has short stem syllable, but I'm aware of an attested Hariwulfs mentioned in Lehmenn's Etymological Dictionary which I don't have on me right now. Does anyone know whether it would be 'Harja-' or 'Hari-'?

      On a similar note, I've reconstructed OE Mildgyþ as Mildigunþi. Does that seem correct?

      There was also an OE Mildþryþ, and I'm not sure how to handle '-þryþ'. From the information Bosworth-Toller gives, it looks like an i-stem. Should it be '-þruþs' in Gothic? I can't find the proto-germanic form, but would it maybe be '-þrunþs'?

      Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
    • o_cossue
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2010
        I'm not sure if this is going to be really helpful, but...

        1.- For the Germanic names present in High Middle ages in Galicia (NW
        Spain) - these names, of Eastern Suevi origin, are mostly common to East
        / Danubian Germans – initially it appears that only *harji-
        (*harjiz) is known:

        Argibadus (and modern place name Arxibai) < *Harjibadwaz (?)

        Argifredus (and modern place name Alxofreo) < *Harjifriþuz

        Argifreda < *Harjifriþô

        Argefonsus < * Harjifunsaz

        Argivastro < *Harjigastiz

        Argilo f. < *Harjilôn

        Argileuva f. < *Harjileubô

        Argimirus (and modern place name Arxemil) < *Harjimêraz

        Argemondus (and modern place name Arximonde) < *Harjimunduz

        Argeridus < *Harjirêdaz

        (initial h- in Germanic names didn't left any trace in toponymy,
        eiþer) etc... But, don't ask me why, there is no **Argiulfus, bur a
        very common Ariulfus / Ariulfus which have originated the place names
        and Surnames: Arulfe, Arufe (from latinized genitive Arulfi). There were
        also an Ariamiro (Suevi, king, died c. 570), and the names Arias 'Lord'
        and its superlative Ariastre ( < *Arjaz + -ist-, cf. V. Orel, A HANDBOOK
        OF GERMANIC ETYMOLOGY. Brill. 2003 s.v. *arjaz).

        2.- Gunþj is probably OK, or maybe gunþjô (at least judging
        from this side of the bay of Biscay):

        Siseguntia (c 580, a Suevi queen), Alaguntia, Astragundia, Ebragundia,
        Ermegundia, Fradegundia, Leodegundia, Menegundia, Teodegundia... but
        also Aragunti, Bergundi.

        3.- Vladimir Orel gives *drûdaz m 'friend, beloved'. The feminine
        *drûdjô is also common in Galician Germanic composite names:
        Alatrudia, Aniedrudia, Dagadrudia, Entrudi, Ermedrudia, Guntedrudia,
        Penedruia, Qualatrudia, Recedrudi, Senatrudia.

        Cheers,

        Cossue.