Re: [gothic-l] sacred animal?

  • OSCAR HERRE
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 19, 2010
      thats a good question......how did any of these peoples survive on a day to day basis....water, food, hygeine,etc.......i guess livestock were their sanctuary......

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 2010
        I never found that stuff in connection with my studies of Gothic pre-Christian religion meaning there is nothing written as far as I know. Still they worshipped old Óðinn and Ingun/Freya and hence beleived in Valhall where Särimner the boar is slaughtered every evening and is reborn every morning. Pigs sacrifice is quite probable and the boar is a holy animal of Freya. Her wagon was drawn by cats but adoration - no. There are a lot of Germanic mythological animals but to what extent they were adored is quite another question. One thing is for sure - they had no dog cult like the Langobards.

        Best
        Ingemar

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 19, 2010
          Eagle broaches might be important here...

          On 19 October 2010 15:55, ingemarn2000 <ingemar@...> wrote:

          > I never found that stuff in connection with my studies of Gothic
          > pre-Christian religion meaning there is nothing written as far as I know.
          > Still they worshipped old ��inn and Ingun/Freya and hence beleived in
          > Valhall where S�rimner the boar is slaughtered every evening and is reborn
          > every morning. Pigs sacrifice is quite probable and the boar is a holy
          > animal of Freya. Her wagon was drawn by cats but adoration - no. There are a
          > lot of Germanic mythological animals but to what extent they were adored is
          > quite another question. One thing is for sure - they had no dog cult like
          > the Langobards.
          >
          > Best
          > Ingemar
          >

          > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com <gothic-l%40yahoogroups.com>, Leonardo
          > Frithunanthz H-C <leonardo.f.h.c@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello fellow lovers of the Goths,
          > >
          > > My question goes as follows, did the Goths revere any particular animal
          > and
          > > if so, did this adoration continue in a syncretic form once they had
          > adopted
          > > christendom? The same question goes for any particular colour.
          > >
          > > Best regards,
          > > Leonardo
          > >
          > > --
          > > How to pronounce my surname: fri:��u:nan��

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2010
            I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the eagle symbolized the Resurrection in the Arian church. I can't find any source to back that up though, so I could easily be wrong. Way back in the archives here I think there's a post by Dirck about eagle brooches being worn mostly by women.

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Claire Knudsen-Latta <clairemargery@...> wrote:

            > Eagle broaches might be important here...
            >
            > On 19 October 2010 15:55, ingemarn2000 <ingemar@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I never found that stuff in connection with my studies of Gothic
            > > pre-Christian religion meaning there is nothing written as far as I know.
            > > Still they worshipped old Óðinn and Ingun/Freya and hence beleived in
            > > Valhall where Särimner the boar is slaughtered every evening and is reborn
            > > every morning. Pigs sacrifice is quite probable and the boar is a holy
            > > animal of Freya. Her wagon was drawn by cats but adoration - no. There are a
            > > lot of Germanic mythological animals but to what extent they were adored is
            > > quite another question. One thing is for sure - they had no dog cult like
            > > the Langobards.
            > >
            > > Best
            > > Ingemar
            > >

            > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com <gothic-l%40yahoogroups.com>, Leonardo
            > > Frithunanthz H-C <leonardo.f.h.c@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello fellow lovers of the Goths,
            > > >
            > > > My question goes as follows, did the Goths revere any particular animal
            > > and
            > > > if so, did this adoration continue in a syncretic form once they had
            > > adopted
            > > > christendom? The same question goes for any particular colour.
            > > >
            > > > Best regards,
            > > > Leonardo
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > How to pronounce my surname: fri:ðu:nanθ

          • Michal Cigan
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2010
              Hi guys,

              some contribution to discussion:

              Be very careful, when you try to connect any kind of symbol with any historical group,
              especially when you do not really know, how this group was organised and how its identity was constructed (What it ment to some member of this group to be the part of this group?). Ancient communities were not organised in a way of modern nations, with their flags, anthems and massmedia identity. There is nothing like "gothic folkgeist", which was manifested through the set of symbols and features.

              And what do you mean by "sacred" animal? There is nothing like a constant sacred thing in any culture generally. It depends on context, on particular situation, on particular moment of group´s history which thing is "sacred" and in which way it is "sacred"...

              Michal

              I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the eagle symbolized the Resurrection in the Arian church. I can't find any source to back that up though, so I could easily be wrong. Way back in the archives here I think there's a post by Dirck about eagle brooches being worn mostly by women.

              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Claire Knudsen-Latta <clairemargery@...> wrote:

              > Eagle broaches might be important here...
              >
              > On 19 October 2010 15:55, ingemarn2000 <ingemar@...> wrote:
              >

              > > I never found that stuff in connection with my studies of Gothic
              > > pre-Christian religion meaning there is nothing written as far as I know.
              > > Still they worshipped old Óðinn and Ingun/Freya and hence beleived in
              > > Valhall where Särimner the boar is slaughtered every evening and is reborn
              > > every morning. Pigs sacrifice is quite probable and the boar is a holy
              > > animal of Freya. Her wagon was drawn by cats but adoration - no. There are a
              > > lot of Germanic mythological animals but to what extent they were adored is
              > > quite another question. One thing is for sure - they had no dog cult like
              > > the Langobards.
              > >
              > > Best
              > > Ingemar
              > >

              > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com <gothic-l%40yahoogroups.com>, Leonardo
              > > Frithunanthz H-C <leonardo.f.h.c@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello fellow lovers of the Goths,
              > > >
              > > > My question goes as follows, did the Goths revere any particular animal
              > > and
              > > > if so, did this adoration continue in a syncretic form once they had
              > > adopted
              > > > christendom? The same question goes for any particular colour.
              > > >
              > > > Best regards,
              > > > Leonardo
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > How to pronounce my surname: fri:ðu:nanθ

            • Ingemar Nordgren
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2010
                If you speak of the Arian Goths the symbol for resurrection was the peacock!

                Ingemar

                --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mremic01@...> wrote:

                > I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the eagle symbolized the Resurrection in the Arian church. I can't find any source to back that up though, so I could easily be wrong. Way back in the archives here I think there's a post by Dirck about eagle brooches being worn mostly by women.
                >

                > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Claire Knudsen-Latta <clairemargery@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Eagle broaches might be important here...
                > >
                > > On 19 October 2010 15:55, ingemarn2000 <ingemar@> wrote:
                > >

                > > > I never found that stuff in connection with my studies of Gothic
                > > > pre-Christian religion meaning there is nothing written as far as I know.
                > > > Still they worshipped old Óðinn and Ingun/Freya and hence beleived in
                > > > Valhall where Särimner the boar is slaughtered every evening and is reborn
                > > > every morning. Pigs sacrifice is quite probable and the boar is a holy
                > > > animal of Freya. Her wagon was drawn by cats but adoration - no. There are a
                > > > lot of Germanic mythological animals but to what extent they were adored is
                > > > quite another question. One thing is for sure - they had no dog cult like
                > > > the Langobards.
                > > >
                > > > Best
                > > > Ingemar
                > > >

                > > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com <gothic-l%40yahoogroups.com>, Leonardo

                > > > and
                > > > adopted

              • Ernesto
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 19, 2010
                  Reliefs can be seen in the Visigothic Church of Quintanilla de las Viñas in Spain, where there are bas-reliefs of their animals revered in their religious rites.
                  Klebat Chassinat Expedition in 1901, provided some friezes very similar to those in Egypt, in a ruined church located between Thebes and Herakleópolis, V or VI.

                  link:
                  http://odinismo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19354#19354

                  Ernesto