Re: I got difficulties in pronouncing words ending in 'w'.

  • gotenfreund
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2010
      29. w (i. e. u in the function of a consonant) had mostly the same sound-value as the w in English wit. After diphthongs and long vowels, as also after consonants not followed by a vowel, it was probably a kind of reduced u-sound. the exact quality of which cannot be determined. Examples of the former pronunciation are :—wens, hope ; witan, to know; wrikan, to persecute; swistar, sister; taíhswō, right hand. And of the latter:—snáiws, snow ; waurstw, work; skađwjan, to overshadow.

      from page 12 of Wright's Grammar of the Gothic Language (1910)

      http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/goth_wright_about.html

      Lambdin is kind of vague in his book.

      I think Bennett has a good explanation, but my copy is at work - I like to read it during my lunch break.