Re: [gothic-l] Re: Antes==An(ak)tes/Anakes=Anaktes

  • Ivan Kotliarov
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2009
      > Everybody is aware of this slavic "translation" which makes no sense at all. The office is of King/Basileus not colonel.

      Sorry, this is wrong, unfortunately. Romanian is full of Slavic loanwords (for example the word for war - razboi - is perfectly Slavic). Voyevoda is much more than a simple colonel - this is a military leader, which later evolved into civil leader too - do not forget Polish voivodships, or that Austro-Hungarian emperors also hold the title of Voyevoda for their Serbian possessions.

      So do not try to explain everything on the basis of folk etymologies. In Russia there are guys, who thinks that the word Etruscan is just a debased version of the Russian expression "eto russkiye" - these are Russians. I am afraid you make now the same mistake
    • Ivan Kotliarov
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2009
        Sorry, there is no word Wodan in Slavic.

        Voyevoda is a Slavic word, in its basic meaning - military leader, which was later extended to mean leader, chief in general. This semantic extension is quite common for different languages.

        Please be very cautious with folk etymologies you use. Of course, it is necessary to forget Stalin's legacy, but do not sacrifice science to politics
      • Eric Kinzel
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2010
          sovershenno pravilno.

          To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com