AW: [gothic-l] Gothic names

  • Andreas Schwarcz
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 5, 2010
      _____

      Von: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto:gothic-l@yahoogroups.com] Im Auftrag
      von r_scherp
      Gesendet: Dienstag, 05. Jänner 2010 04:30
      An: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Betreff: [gothic-l] Gothic names

      Well, you could look into the relevant books to find these reconstructions
      and the etymology of these names, f.i.:

      Ernst Wilhelm Förstemann, Altdeutsches Namenbuch, 2 vols. (Bonn 1900).
      (Supplementary volume to vol.1, Personenennamen by Henning Kaufmann,
      München, Hildesheim 1968)

      Moritz Schönfeld, Wörterbuch der altgermanischen Personen- und Völkernamen
      (Heidelberg 1911)

      Best wishes,

      Andreas Schwarcz

      Hails!

      I imagine someone here has taken the trouble to reconstruct the known Gothic
      names. I would be very interested in this. For example, Theoderic is
      actually Thiudareiks, meaning Ruler of the People. I suppose it won't always
      be possible to ascertain the originals and their meanings, but it always
      productive to give it thought. I am tired of seeing the names in Latin,
      English or Spanish.

      Randulfs

    • r_scherp
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 5, 2010
        Habt Dank!

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Schwarcz" <andreas.schwarcz@...> wrote:

        > _____

      • ƕar ik im, miþþanei ik im, þa
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 2, 2012
          I use my second name in this form: Hroþreiks.

          Now, I wish I would know how is my name written in Gothic:

          William = Wiljahilms? Wilihilms Wilhilms?

          Thanks!
        • autoreport
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 4, 2012
            There is a recorded name Wiljariþ, by analogy William would be Wiljahilms.

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, ƕar ik im, miþþanei ik im, þar is ains Gutiksland <hrothreiks@...> wrote:

            > I use my second name in this form: Hro�reiks.
            >
            > Now, I wish I would know how is my name written in Gothic:
            >
            > William = Wiljahilms? Wilihilms Wilhilms?
            >

            > Thanks!

          • autoreport
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 5, 2012
              Although Gothic was spoken in the Crimea into the 18th Century (but unfortunately rarely written), we unfortunately have a very limited vocabulary recorded compared to OE, Saxon, Old Frisian, Old Norse or even the various schools of High German. That can make it very difficult to match onomastic themes with a corresponding word in prosaic Gothic. Quite a number of themes are not recorded as independent word in any of the Germanic languages, even if they are, the semantic development is often quite different in Gothic than in West or North Germanic. In addition few Gothic names are recorded in something close to the original Gothic—most have been Latinized or altered by flawed analogy with Greek. Other Gothic names are recorded in a Latinized version of the Frankish form, conversely some Frankish names are recorded in a Latinized version of their Gothic form. We also know that names sometimes cross ethnic boundaries—Attila the Hun is best known by his Gothic honorific. Latin names are combined with Germanic themes, Gothic onomastic themes are adopted by other Germanic speakers (not always accurately) and the Indo-Iranian Alans brought onomastic themes from a more distant branch of Indo-European to the Germanic-speaking world. The popular "reiks" is ultimately Celtic (rix<rigs, cognate with Gothic ragin). Gothic itself is not as uniform as the resources may imply—there are clear differences between the few recorded Ostrogothic words and standard Visigothic of Ulfilas-itself Gothic as spoken in Moesia in the 4th-5th centuries and often called Moeso-Gothic. Visigothic spoken in other areas and other times was almost certainly different in some respects, just as many different varieties of High German are spoken alongside the "standard" Eastern-Middle High German of Luther.

              --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <abrigon@...> wrote:

              > The fun of names, is that just cause one source says it is spelled one
              > way, does not make it so. To many researchers have had limited space,
              > as well as limited samplings.. Theodorick or Theodorik, same name, but
              > different spelling. Fun is when the name goes thru atleast 2
              > intermediaries before it comes to English. Some languages don't have
              > letters and sounds for some sounds in Gothic (I suspose), so the names
              > get mangled.
              >
              > Mike
              > aka Morgoth (for now).

            • write2andy
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 28

                I was coming up with a list of names in Gothic (meaning attested names and the Gothic counterparts to other names) a while back, and I thought we should discuss names here. Lots can be pulled from the Bible (Teimaúþaíus, Andraías, Marja, etc.), and, since so many common names in the western world are either Biblical or Germanic, we have a relatively easy time of making the Gothic counterparts.

                Here is a site I found, which has some names up to "F": http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/etc/in_progress/data/b0363.html

                Many dictionaries may also have a separate section for names and other proper nouns.

              • Dicentis a
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 28
                  Lol what a coincidence! Before I opened my mail, I compiled a list with
                  both Biblical attested names and reconstructed names!

                  Check my attachment.

                  gothic-l@yahoogroups.com>:

                  > I was coming up with a list of names in Gothic (meaning attested names and
                  > the Gothic counterparts to other names) a while back, and I thought we
                  > should discuss names here. Lots can be pulled from the Bible (Teimaúþaíus,
                  > Andraías, Marja, etc.), and, since so many common names in the western
                  > world are either Biblical or Germanic, we have a relatively easy time of
                  > making the Gothic counterparts.
                  >
                  > Here is a site I found, which has some names up to "F":
                  > http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/etc/in_progress/data/b0363.html
                  >
                  > Many dictionaries may also have a separate section for names and other
                  > proper nouns.

                • Dicentis a

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 28

                        Where is the attachment? I can't find it.

                        I derive my name from the Old English "andiġ", meaning "zealous, envious, jealous, annoying" and it suits my personality in some ways (though my pen-name is much better). The Gothic equivalent would be "Andag(-s/-a/-)". Most people derive it from "Andrew", which, in Gothic, is "Andraías".