Re: new member

  • gotenfreund
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
      yes, thank you, I've enjoyed using the Lambdin text, especially the copious practice exercises. My only peeve is that he doesn't differentiate between (ai, a'i, and ai') and their (au) counterparts. Although he makes the valid point that the texts are not marked in this way, and that this convention is there for historical linguistic reasons, and that furthermore there is no indication the Goths recognized this three-way distinction in their pronunciation - it looks weird to the eye, and differs from all other presentations of Gothic I've seen.

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Claire Knudsen-Latta <clairemargery@...> wrote:

      > I'm studying from Lambdin independently as well, I've found him to be quite
      > a competent textbook author and hope you have as well. I'm just starting
      > modern Icelandic, but have studied German, Danish, Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse,
      > and Dutch. I've done a bit of Russian, French, and enough Spanish to get in
      > trouble in bars.
      >
      > Claire
      >
      > 2009/12/28 gotenfreund <ekinzel@...>
      >

      > > Hails!
      > >
      > > I am a new member from the USA. I have spent the last year studying
      > > Lambdin's Introduction to the Gothic Language. I also have studied
      > > Icelandic, German, Danish, and Old English among the Germanic languages, and
      > > also Russian and Croatian from the Slavic languages. I am by no means a
      > > master in any of these, but I do pretty well, and get a lot of pleasure out
      > > of my studies, which is of greatest importance; it is how I relax.
      > >
      > > I'm very interested in ancient Germanic peoples, to include of course the
      > > Goths and other East Germanics. I'm also very interested in the prehistoric
      > > ethographic and linguistic situation in the Balkans.
      > >
      > > These are my hobbies; by day I am a wireless project manager.

    • r_scherp
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
        Hails Gotenfreund!

        We shall send you to Russia to look for traces of the Goths there; though you may need to add Turkish to your impressive arsenal of languages.

        Randulfs