new member

  • gotenfreund
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2009
      Hails!

      I am a new member from the USA. I have spent the last year studying Lambdin's Introduction to the Gothic Language. I also have studied Icelandic, German, Danish, and Old English among the Germanic languages, and also Russian and Croatian from the Slavic languages. I am by no means a master in any of these, but I do pretty well, and get a lot of pleasure out of my studies, which is of greatest importance; it is how I relax.

      I'm very interested in ancient Germanic peoples, to include of course the Goths and other East Germanics. I'm also very interested in the prehistoric ethographic and linguistic situation in the Balkans.

      These are my hobbies; by day I am a wireless project manager.
    • Claire Knudsen-Latta
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2009
        I'm studying from Lambdin independently as well, I've found him to be quite
        a competent textbook author and hope you have as well. I'm just starting
        modern Icelandic, but have studied German, Danish, Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse,
        and Dutch. I've done a bit of Russian, French, and enough Spanish to get in
        trouble in bars.

        Claire

        2009/12/28 gotenfreund <ekinzel@...>

        > Hails!
        >
        > I am a new member from the USA. I have spent the last year studying
        > Lambdin's Introduction to the Gothic Language. I also have studied
        > Icelandic, German, Danish, and Old English among the Germanic languages, and
        > also Russian and Croatian from the Slavic languages. I am by no means a
        > master in any of these, but I do pretty well, and get a lot of pleasure out
        > of my studies, which is of greatest importance; it is how I relax.
        >
        > I'm very interested in ancient Germanic peoples, to include of course the
        > Goths and other East Germanics. I'm also very interested in the prehistoric
        > ethographic and linguistic situation in the Balkans.
        >
        > These are my hobbies; by day I am a wireless project manager.

      • solunvar
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2009
          Hi,

          I'm Konrad, born and raised in Belgium. I'm a native speaker of Dutch, learned how to speak French from the age of onwards, am proficient enough in German to understand others and make a fool out of myself when speaking it enough myself. Started an evening course in Russian a couple of years ago, but had to quit it due to medical reasons. Obviously I speak English as well.

          Languages I would one day like to speak are: Old (and Modern) Persian, Gaelic and Gothic. Yeah, I know those are general terms. Of those interests, Gothic is actually the most recent. Never really thought about it much before, then I was trying to find a vowel and consonant palette for an (my) artificial language's phonology and stumbled across this particular group of languages. Finding several examples, I was amazed at the resemblance between Dutch and German in grammatical structure, while still baffling me with that mysterious ƕ (hw) nobody seems to be able to pronounce 100 percent correctly.

          My interest in adapting knowledge of Gothic into a modern variant has, for the most part, faded into that shelf in the back of my mind containing all my ambitious ideas. One day that interest will come back to me. In the meantime, soaking up information and knowledge seems the right thing to do.

          For the record - I study Applied Informatics (computer stuff), not linguistics. Sometimes I wish I did, but I'm guessing that my genuine interest for the field would disappear if I was bombarded with university levels of monotone course books.
        • gotenfreund
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2009
            yes, thank you, I've enjoyed using the Lambdin text, especially the copious practice exercises. My only peeve is that he doesn't differentiate between (ai, a'i, and ai') and their (au) counterparts. Although he makes the valid point that the texts are not marked in this way, and that this convention is there for historical linguistic reasons, and that furthermore there is no indication the Goths recognized this three-way distinction in their pronunciation - it looks weird to the eye, and differs from all other presentations of Gothic I've seen.

            --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Claire Knudsen-Latta <clairemargery@...> wrote:

            > I'm studying from Lambdin independently as well, I've found him to be quite
            > a competent textbook author and hope you have as well. I'm just starting
            > modern Icelandic, but have studied German, Danish, Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse,
            > and Dutch. I've done a bit of Russian, French, and enough Spanish to get in
            > trouble in bars.
            >
            > Claire
            >
            > 2009/12/28 gotenfreund <ekinzel@...>
            >

            > > Hails!
            > >
            > > I am a new member from the USA. I have spent the last year studying
            > > Lambdin's Introduction to the Gothic Language. I also have studied
            > > Icelandic, German, Danish, and Old English among the Germanic languages, and
            > > also Russian and Croatian from the Slavic languages. I am by no means a
            > > master in any of these, but I do pretty well, and get a lot of pleasure out
            > > of my studies, which is of greatest importance; it is how I relax.
            > >
            > > I'm very interested in ancient Germanic peoples, to include of course the
            > > Goths and other East Germanics. I'm also very interested in the prehistoric
            > > ethographic and linguistic situation in the Balkans.
            > >
            > > These are my hobbies; by day I am a wireless project manager.

          • r_scherp
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 30, 2009
              Hails Gotenfreund!

              We shall send you to Russia to look for traces of the Goths there; though you may need to add Turkish to your impressive arsenal of languages.

              Randulfs