Cernunnos the one who SEPARATES (souls in the underworld) from lat. cernere

  • dciurchea
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
      The name Cernunnos is generally interpeted as "the horned one". This is not correct as it is not only obvious(the sculpture in Paris is horned indeed) but would be "Cornnunos"(lat CORN=horn).

      Actually, in latin cernere = to sieve(germ sieben, fr cerner,tamiser) = to separate, that is the underworld character is selecting the souls of the dead in order to feed Draco/Nidhog(the underworld worm), as currently the devil is supposed to do in the Christian belief.

      Actually, as I showed in my previous post ("Getas Basileis. Historical Odin revisited" : http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gothic-l/message/10106) the Balaur(==Cernunnos=a kind of Baal subject) and Draco (==Baal==dragon) characters are transposed.The significance is clear if one has a look at wall painting in middle age monasteries at Cozia and Voronet (Romania):
      http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9LzWzvq8pi0/R9P9sZyOODI/AAAAAAAAGdY/-ULPr-tDFnw/s640/IMG_0617.JPG
      http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9LzWzvq8pi0/R9QEcpyOOEI/AAAAAAAAGdQ/ou2vxjACo10/s512/Apocalipse-Voronet.jpg

      The concept is conserved in the pagan folk dance "the goat", played in the country side (Romania) during the Christmas Eve. The young team of valliant young men of the village is wandering though the village with the "captured" goat, spelling every yard for he new year (or the winter to come). The goat is for Draco/Nidhog/Dragon who is threatening the host's yard; the dancers offer themselves to kill(to chase) the goat and are rewarded by the host with money, drinks and food; so the yard and the house is safe for the winter.

      Scenario for ressurection (the Gets were supposed to believe in afterlife, see also Orpheus originating from Caucaland and probably Gilgamesh is containing a more elaborate description of the events):

      - All animals in the hell are horned, so the deceased is supposed to have some antlers with him to desguise himself into a local character, avoiding to be sized by Cernunnos and fed to Draco/Nidhog.

      - The deceased should be prepared with money (eventually gold torques and talants) to further convince Cernunnos to leave him alone, because ressurection is not possible without body. The ressurected king is supposed to wake up his wife in the grave nearby. She in turn should be prepared with vessels to make food and with combs for combing (teasing) the king's beard and to household in general. Of course, for Christians, the souls without sins go to heaven directly.
    • OSCAR HERRE
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
        havent heard from any members lately like llama nom,etc.....everybody on vacation

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 21, 2009
          Nope, not everybody but I have wondered as well!

          The story of the goat celebration i Romania is good. We have also some old traditions in Scandinavia with Lussegubbar, Yulefolk, Odins riders et c. The Odinriders unhappily are now out of date but the Lussegubbar still are active during the original Iulian Yulenight now called Lucia or Lusse. I hope you are both Oscar and Dciurchea quite well.

          I wish everybody on the list a Good Traditional Yule in old Gothic style like the Varangians dancing in circle in Constantinople crying Jul, Jul, Jul.. and to all of t you a Good New Gothic Year!

          I have now dressed the Yule Tree and decorated it with a Þórr's hammer and below stand the buck and the boar (Särimner). Food is made ready for the house goblin that we shall have a peaceful yule. May the gods preserve us!

          Ingemar

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRE <duke.co@...> wrote:

          > havent heard from any members lately like llama nom,etc.....everybody on vacation

        • Lars Larsen
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 2009
            Oscar this is interesting, I was not aware that the interpretation was
            wrong. I'll look at your previous postings.

            Ingemar, I know how Cernunnos looks, but not how a heathen Christmas tree at
            Ingemars looks.
            Being winter solstice and all today, could we wish for a photo of the tree
            to reach the file section of the list? ;-)

            God Jul
            Lars