Re: Looking for a more experienced linguist

  • Friþureiks
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 22, 2009
      Hi!
      This comes very late but I answer anyway.
      I think it would be better with frijaba instead of frije.
      The word for life is libains (sf) if i'm not totaly wrong.
      I don't know if giban takes any special case but i'd guess it should be accusative, hence "Ik giba frijaba libain meina" (if dative: libainai meinai)

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Claire Knudsen-Latta" <clairemargery@...> wrote:

      > Hello the list!
      >

      > I am working on a gift for a friend who is a member of the SCA. My
      > experience is in Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse and am having trouble with the
      > lack of vocabulary in Gothic. Would someone who is more apt with the Gothic
      > language please take a look at the below sentence and, once they stop
      > laughing, point me in the direction of correct grammar. I've got the Gothic
      > above and English below. ((th) is being substituted for thorn, my computer
      > is having a day.)
      >

      > Claire
      >

      > Her kaupo ai(th)am mi(th) Wista-waipam. Ik giba frije liban meinai jah
      > andbahti fri(th)au jah hriggam.
      >

      > Here I trade oaths with the Crown of the West. I freely give my life (I
      > wanted 'loyalty' but couldn't find a form of hyldo/hold in Gothic) and
      > service for protection and rings.

    • Friþureiks
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 22, 2009
        Hi!